Arriva

• Author

Matt
    Participant

Not sure how the situation happened, but a large number of areas are now completely cut off from public transport.

Do the council have an emergency protocol set-up, so that key workers and those that need to use public transport to buy essential groceries can get where they need to go to if they have no other alternative means?

A few villages up here are now cut off and people have kindly offered lifts, but there is concern over rule breaking of sharing private vehicles with those not from the same household.

What a situation to end up in.

ChillDoubt
    Participant

Shanks’s Pony or a pushiron!

The very idea of vehicle sharing is totally irresponsible but especially so in light of the current status at the Maelor and as someone who works there I would actively discourage such a practice.
    Some routes are still open so I guess some will have to walk a bit further to get to a suitable bus stop.

AMA Express
    Participant

‘Not sure how the situation happened…’

FFS !!! Have you been living in a hole in the ground somewhere ?

wrexview
    Participant

For all our sakes let’s hope the Oxford Vaccine production doesn’t get interrupted on the industrial estate . A case for military to be brought into drive buses ? There must be contingency plans for such a scenario.

Matt
    Participant

Okay then AMA, care to elaborate how it happened exactly in this instance? As it wasn’t stated in the article by the company. Poor social distancing and lax rules at the bus depot? Lack of hygiene and cleaning practices on the busses?

I can understand 1 bus driver catching Covid from a passenger but then the inter-company transmission would have had to have happened elsewhere as Arriva bus drivers typically work solo during a shift. You don’t have a bus load of drivers all on the same transport. That person should have then self isolated and cut off the infection risk to other work colleagues and members of the public.

If this was normal to occur we’d have seen it happen in other bus services/companies up and down the UK. As it stands the only other instance of an outbreak affecting an entire town’s bus service I can find reported in the press was in Andover a few weeks back.

https://www.andoveradvertiser.co.uk/news/18974133.andover-bus-services-reduced-drivers-catch-coronavirus/

There is obviously the case of a large number of bus worker deaths in the TFL region over the entire pandemic, but London is a large region spread over a number of depots and districts. So is a difficult one to compare to a town like Wrexham’s infrastructure.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9133777/Transport-London-reveals-57-staff-killed-Covid.html

The fact is that it’s happened in Wrexham and not really many other places and not to the severity that it has done so here. So something has gone wrong somewhere and Arriva has some answers to give. They also need to explain what exposure passengers on their services post Christmas may have occurred as there’s clearly a risk to public health angle here as well.

Last night, I was more interested in the fact that large parts of the county were now cut off but now I guess the cat has to come out of the bag on the entire situation.

AMA Express
    Participant

You’ve obviously got a solution to this. What is it ?

Matt
    Participant

Nice avoidance of my question there.

I never claimed to know the solution, which is why I asked in the first instance does the council have an emergency contingency plan in place?

Secondly, I wanted to know from Arriva, who are supposed to be responsible for safeguarding its staff and members of the public (I am not) what has gone wrong?

pete
    Participant

It happened a few weeks ago at Arriva’s Rhyl depot. The X51 (and other routes) were cancelled/cut back for a few days and no information was on Arriva’s website or Twitter about it so it was kept quiet.

Comment 8or
    Participant

I don’t know why or how there are so many cases of drivers of one company getting the virus. It should be investigated by the Council / Traffic Commissioner so that all lessons are learnt for the general good of public safety. It’s probably the only way we’ll get to find out why so many drivers are infected. Are TTP staff now tracing passengers who have used bus passes / card payment?

You see PCV drivers driving buses with their masks removed, mostly though not exclusively, when there are no passengers on board.

I would have thought that their fleet managers would refrain them from doing this when compiling their Covid Risk Assessments, for their own safety, as well as general passenger safety. If an infected passenger did board a vehicle, it is obvious that the virus would remain in circulation in the vehicle for sometime after they alighted, depending on the level of ventilation. This would be particularly poignant if some idiot had gone to the trouble of downloading and putting together a false ‘exemption’ label and lanyard.

Another factor for the Fleet Managers / Operators responsible for drivers of public passenger carrying vehicles to consider within their Covid related driver Risk Assessments is, how is a driver expected to drive safely whilst wearing a mask if they need to wear spectacles? I know I have to hold my breath in order to read a label in a supermarket due to instant misting up. Imagine how many more people would now be infected in Wrexham if drivers needing to wear spectacles to drive have simply failed to wear a mask.

MattJ
    Participant

It’s not really Arriva’s fault there’s a pandemic. You could go and pick holes at many other things.

Wrexham: 50mph to save the planet
    Also Wrexham: Using an e-scooter is illegal

I’m fairly sure that the Police, Council and Club are all being managed by Mr Keates

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News