Statement from Beryl Blackmore
We invited them to tell you a little about who they are, any political history and about their political leanings.
Originally from Liverpool ,I have been a Community Councillor for 20+ years on Gresford Community Council,I served as Gresford County Councillor from 2008-2012. In the village of Gresford I set up a Guide company and an Out of School club 30 years ago which are both still running . I was a Local Magistrate for 25 years which gave me a good insight into Town Centre problems ,I specialised in the Youth Court. My recent projects have been re opening a Caffi with seated exercise classes and a Lunch Club. I recently won a National Award for the project which is supported by a team of wonderful volunteers . I am a member of the local Methodist Church were the Caffi meets .
Questions & Answers
1. What are the three biggest issues for your ward, how do you think they need to be resolved, and what will you do to achieve it?
# speeding Traffic in many areas of the village # Congestion round the local school # car parking causing an obstruction
2. What do you think needs to be done to help Wrexham recover from the pandemic and what hands-on-role can you play as a councillor ?
# the Town Centre is a priority which needs a lot of sensible workable ideas ,the people of Wrexham have voiced their ideas many times about how they would like to see the centre revitalised we need to listen as their ideas , they are good , such as making Eagles Meadow a leisure area bring the shops back into one area easily accessible by everyone . Improve Bus Routes ,everyone deserves to be able to travel ,many outlying areas of Wrexham have a very reduced service or even non existent. People have to travel to find Activities such as Flip Out, An Ice Rink, Go Karting to name a few let's put some in Wrexham.
3. As a councillor you may have the chance to take on further roles eg. Lead Member, Audit, Scrutiny. What appeals to you and what skills do you bring to that role?
My interests are very much Education , Health and Wellbeing ,for all ages and in particular combating loneliness and isolation , if these areas are a priority Mental Health is improved everybody needs to feel wanted and part of their Community . I feel I have the skills to promote these areas due to my past history ,working with all ages from 0-90+.
4. What do the words climate emergency mean to you and your ward?
Climate Emergency is high on the list in Gresford and Marford with a local Environmental Group working closely with Gresford Community Council to help reverse the damage being done by us all , WCBC I know is active in helping to reduce carbon emissions and recycling we still have a long way to go .
5. What is the biggest thing you would have done differently from the ruling administration over the last 5 years? (Or, if you were part of the Administration - what would you have done differently?)
It has been a difficult 5 years for the Council trying to work a Budget that everyone is happy with ,year after year there are cuts ,the Pandemic has made the last two plus years even worse , it's going to be a tough job for the Next Group of County Councillors to get Wrexham on some sort of acceptable track , the cost of living has gone through the roof leaving many families / people vulnerable that in its self is a priority.
6. Local health pressures are well documented, from delayed ambulances to issues in the hospital. How can the council help resolve those problems?
The Council must put the problem with our Health Board top of the Agenda the lack of Doctors Surgeries offering face to face appointments, the closing of surgeries , the waiting time for patients needing an Ambulance and the time spent sitting at A&E is totally unacceptable.
7. What will you do on a local level to help support people in your ward affected by the cost of living crisis?
Communities are providing vital support with Food Banks Lunch Clubs , Community Agents in the villages offer support to access help and Advice these need to continue , to be funded not only by Grants but the Council setting aside a budget .
8. How would you improve the local education system?
There are still schools in WCBC which need upgrading to meet the future generation, a good start has been made but this needs to continue School Governors need full training and support, they do an incredible job supporting the Heads in our schools . I favour Technical Colleges for the more hands on approach we need to invest in apprenticeships .
9. When the public view the Full Council meeting in June, do you envision you could be part of a Party, Group or coalition, and if so, specifically who and why?
I support the Principals of the Welsh Liberal democrats ,I have to be realistic and know they could not win enough seats to be overall in charge If I am chosen to be a County Councillor this May I would need to see who else is elected and make a decision based on the qualities of the various Groups
10. This is a noteworthy election with 16 and 17 year olds now able to vote, what have you done to engage this new electorate and what do you think is the biggest issue for them locally ?
The biggest issue with the age group 16-17yr old being able to vote could be how they see their own parents / family / friends going to Vote ,the turnout at Elections is very poor and I despair at this lack of interest .
Social & Web links
Where is my polling station?
Your polling station address should be on your poll card, delivered by post before the election.
How do I vote?
Polling stations are open from 7am to 10pm on Thursday 5th May.
If you don't have your poll card, you can go to the polling station and give them your name and address. You don't need any other form of ID.
Give your name and address to the staff inside the polling station when you arrive. You don’t have to take your poll card with you.
You’ll be given a ballot paper containing a list of the people, parties or the options you can vote for.
- Take your ballot paper into a polling booth.
- Follow the instructions on the notices in the polling booth and on the top of the ballot paper to vote.
- Put it in the ballot box.
OTHER CANDIDATES FOR Marford and Hoseley
- Welsh Conservative Party
What is this?
Another local democracy project by Wrexham.com
Wrexham.com does not accept any political advertising. All candidate promotion on this site has been provided for free with the same offer to every candidate. Anyone who wishes to use our election coverage content (text, video or images) please feel free, all we ask is a link back to this site if it is used online, or an equivalent prominent credit if in print or other mediums. We would also request that you use it without misrepresenting the context of candidate answers.