Wrexham.com for people living in or visiting the wrexham area

Wrexham FC v Luton Town Match Report

NOTE: This content is old - Published: Monday, May 7th, 2012.

In arguably the most important match of Wrexham’s season a very quick and potent Luton Town came to the Racecourse ground looking to keep hold of their two nil lead from the first leg at Kenilworth Road.

With the home support out in force Wrexham kicked off and immediately took the game to Luton. Pressure was building on the pitch, and the supporters from both teams could feel that Wrexham were indeed capable of pulling off the improbable. Wrexham won a corner early on, which was delivered well into the box. Luton defended very well and headed clear but the pressure continued to build with Danny Wright and Mattias Pogba both throwing their weight around on the wings.

Wrexham went on to win three corners in the opening exchanges of the first half, but due to solid defending from Luton’s centre halves, in particular Janos Kovacs, nothing came from them. The Reds enjoyed a great spell of dominance, their forwards looked very dangerous and the midfield controlled the flow of play extremely effectively. Midfield maestro Glen Little showed his class again in this match, and proved that when he is not available for selection, Wrexham miss that touch of quality that he brings.

In the twenty fifth minute a well worked Luton counter attack resulted in Wrexham centre back Mark Creighton needlessly diving in to a challenge in the eighteen yard box. The penalty was awarded and calmly struck home by former Everton trainee George Pilkington, sending Wrexham goalkeeper Joslain Mayebi the wrong way.

Heads dropped for Wrexham after this goal and the away team used this to their advantage, frustrating Wrexham with tough defending and retaining possession. Just before the break however, Glen Little darted towards the eighteen yard box and hit a screamer at goal, brilliantly kept out for a Wrexham corner by Luton goalkeeper Mark Tyler.

The start of the second half was very similar to the start of the first; Wrexham took the game to Luton, believing they could grab something out of the match. For their part Luton defended very well and seemed content to sit back and let Wrexham come at them. In the sixty third minute, however, the pressure finally told when Adrian Cieslewicz scrambled home from a well taken corner.

Wrexham continued to pile on the pressure, knowing only two more goals were needed. Their style had become very direct, using Mark Creighton as a make shift forward, to great effect. The big man on the park used his height well, and created problems for Luton. In the seventy seventh minute player manager Andy Morrell netted another scrappy goal to get the home fans screaming.

Luton wound down the clock, clinging onto their slim lead by any means necessary. At least ten minutes of the game was spent between the floor and the corner flag for Luton substitute Amari Morgan-Smith, who escaped unpunished. While Wrexham continued to launch attack after attack it just was not enough to drag the game into extra time. The match finished 2-1 to Wrexham on the day 3-2 to Luton on aggregate. Sending the Hatters through to the Wembley final where they will play York, who beat Mansfield 1-0 in extra time.

Whilst Wrexham lost overall today, there are many positives to take from the game. Luton were pushed very hard throughout and Wrexham showed a never say die spirit, one that was shown before during the hard times the club faced the season. The fans did themselves proud yet again, and already next season is looking to be a very promising season indeed.

Attendance: 9,087

The club announced new season ticket offers at the game today, which we will be featuring shortly!

Share this now:


Our new self serve text & image ads!

You can place your message direct
to the biggest Wrexham audience

Click: Wrexham.com/ads/!