NOTE: This content is old - Published: Friday, Jul 18th, 2014.
Hundreds gathered in Wrexham today to watch the Welsh Guards being granted the Honorary Freedom of the Borough.
The Welsh Guards marched from Hightown Barracks, through the town centre before arriving at Llwyn Isaf for an official ceremony to grant the regiment the title of Honorary Freedom of the Borough.
Today’s parade was the first time the Guards had marched through Wrexham since 2010 as part of a tour of Wales.
The Freedom of the County Borough was granted to the Welsh Guards in March earlier this year, to recognise the contribution the Welsh Guards has made to the County Borough and their relationship with the Authority and people of Wrexham
The Welsh Guards were formed on 26 February 1915 by Royal Warrant of His Majesty King George V and will celebrate their centenary next year.
Since its formation the Regiment has had many historic links with the county borough not least that it has recruited many men from the area to serve in the Regiment.
The Welsh Guards Falkland Islands Association Memorial to those Guardsmen that died during that conflict is situated at Llwyn Isaf, Wrexham and every July the event is commemorated in St Giles Parish Church.
A new display at Wrexham Museum has also been launched to mark the granting of the Freedom of the Borough to the Welsh Guards.
The musuem is the venue for a new display of uniforms and headgear from the Welsh Guards Collection, Park Hall, Oswestry. The new display has been curated with the assistance of former members of the Welsh Guards to mark the granting of the Freedom of the Borough.
The Welsh Guards objects will remain on display until after Armistice DayWales News.