Wrexham.com for people living in or visiting the wrexham area

Warning Issued After Woman Dies After Taking Suspected ‘Diet Pills’

NOTE: This content is old - Published: Monday, Apr 20th, 2015.

A warning has been issued after a student from Glyndwr University died after taking tablets, believed to have been ‘diet pills’ bought over the internet.

West Mercia Police issued the warning after 21-year-old Eloise Aimee Parry from Shrewsbury died after taking the tablets.

Eloise was taken to Royal Shrewsbury Hospital after taking the pills and sadly died on Sunday 12th April. Formal cause of death will be confirmed by the coroner at a later date.

The tablets are currently being tested and are believed to contain a substance called dinitrophenol or DNP, which is highly toxic and very dangerous.

West Mercia Police are conducting a full investigation into the circumstances of Eloise’s death and are sending a stark reminder to the public of the dangers of buying substances online.

Chief Inspector Jennifer Mattinson said: “We are undoubtedly concerned over the origin and sale of these pills and are working with partner agencies to establish where they were bought from and how they were advertised.

“The coroner’s report will establish the exact cause of Eloise’s death but we urge the public to be incredibly careful when purchasing medicine or supplements over the internet. Substances from unregistered websites could put your health at risk as they could be extremely harmful, out-of-date or fake.

“An investigation is being carried out to find out where Eloise bought the pills and we ask anyone with any information that could help us to call 101.

“We continue to support Eloise’s family at this incredibly difficult time and our thoughts very much remain with them and Eloise’s friends.”

Eloise’s mum, Fiona Parry, has spoken out in memory of her daughter and has released a statement in support of this important message to the public.

“It is such a great sadness that her life ended so soon, and, in many ways, ended before it had really had a chance to begin. There were so many things that she dreamed of doing – travelling, having a career and having a family – things that she never got a chance to experience.

“She will be greatly missed by everyone who knew her and it will be all the good memories of her that we will cherish as we go through the difficult weeks and months ahead.”

A spokesperson for Glyndwr University added: “Ella commenced the BA (Hons) Families and Childhood Studies programme at Glyndwr University in September 2013. She was a motivated group member who contributed enthusiastically to all modules, always championing the promotion of positive well-being for children and young people.

“Ella was a popular student with staff, peers, across the University and within placement. She always strived to do her best in everything and had great potential both academically and in practice. She will be sadly missed by us all. Our thoughts and condolences are with her family and friends at this sad time.”

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) has offered the following information concerning the dangers posed by DNP.

“We advise the public not to take any tablets or powders containing DNP, as it is an industrial chemical and not fit for human consumption. It can be extremely dangerous to human health.”

More information about purchasing medication online can be found on the NHS website, here. For advice and support on eating disorders please visit the South Staffordshire and Shropshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust website, here:

Anyone who may have any information which could assist this investigation is asked to contact the non-emergency police number 101 quoting the incident reference 369 of 12th April.

Share this now: