Wrexham.com for people living in or visiting the wrexham area

Theresa May Gets Warm Welcome In Wrexham

NOTE: This content is old - Published: Monday, May 22nd, 2017.

Theresa May decided to leave Wrexham via the back door this morning, after a protester was arrested during her arrival.

Mrs May was in Wrexham to launch the Conservatives Welsh manifesto, in a speech that also contained ‘clarification’ or a ‘u-turn’ over social care plans depending on your point of view.

Mrs May herself arrived shortly before 11am at the Gresford Memorial Hall, before greeting Secretary of State for Wales Alun Cairns and Wrexham Conservative candidate, Andrew Atkinson.

The exact location of where Mrs May would be launching the manifesto was kept top secret until just a few hours before the event. Wrexham.com did not get the formal media invite, only being half added to the entry list after querying what was occurring after local tip offs.

Even then a single media pass was hastily made available after some rushed calls early this morning, so we declined to enter the venue to cover the launch due to the non-parity with other media.

Thus we just filmed Mrs May’s arrival, an arrest, and her departure – plus some beautiful ducks on Gresford pond.

We were also not been given a copy of her speech so are unable to provide details of that in this article.

Due to the above we would advise readers find other accounts of her lengthy speech and what the Welsh Conservative Manifesto contains, where you could find out if the duck below will get an answer to his issue:

Our full video of the visit is below, and includes the arrival, arrest (and media scrum), Mrs May opting for the back door plus a couple of very quick questions with Andrew Atkinson

Police confirmed one 25-year-old man arrested for Breach of the Peace, but North Wales Police has since confirmed the man has been released without charge.

Supt Nick Evans who led the Policing response said “A mixture of on-lookers and protestors had gathered outside the location and in the vicinity of the venue. In the main they were well behaved however one particular person, despite a number of warnings was arrested to prevent a breach of the peace.”

“The man was arrested due to his behaviour and conveyed to a local Police Station. He has since been released without charge.”

“Our Policing operation today was proportionate and necessary. We have a responsibility to allow peaceful protest and to maintain public order to ensure public safety and uphold the law. I’m glad to report this was respected by the overwhelming majority of those gathered today and the PM’s actual visit and departure passed without further incident.

“I’m grateful for the cooperation and help from the local community and residents this morning and I’m now able to say the area has returned to normality.”

Below is an archive of our live tweets from this morning…

Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email News@Wrexham.com

Share this now: