NOTE: This content is old - Published: Wednesday, Sep 3rd, 2014.
Breaking news this afternoon as ten Councillors give up their Labour Group and party membership…
The list of Labour Councillors and a brief overview of their recent and current roles are below:
- Neil Rogers, Council Leader & councillor for Gwenfro
- Bernie McCann, Councillor for Gwersyllt East & South
- Michael Williams: Lead Member for Children’s Services & Education and Councillor for Gwersyllt North
- David Griffiths, Was lead member for adult health and social care, but retired earlier this year. Mr Griffiths is Cllr for Gwersyllt East & South.
- I David Bithell – Was Mayor of Wrexham last year and is Councillor for Stansty
- Geoff Lowe – Councillor for Acton
- Malcolm Taylor – Councillor for Llay
- Barbara Roxburgh – Councillor for Bryn Cefn
- Steve Wilson – Councillor for Grosvenor
- Andy Williams – Councillor for Garden Village
The above Councillors jointly issued the following statement of resignation:
“Today our position in the Labour Group has become untenable. Regrettably, it leaves us with no alternative but to leave the Labour Party.
“For many of us it is a very sad day.
“However, we cannot continue to be negatively influenced within the Labour Group on issues that affect the lives of the people of Wrexham.”
“We have informed the Labour Whip and Chair of our decision today.”
UPDATE 3pm: We are told that next week’s Executive Board meeting has been cancelled. However speculation on new dates remains just that.
UPDATE 3:35pm: Wrexham’s political afternoon ‘fun’ continues – strong stuff from Cllr Rogers on Cllr King in this newly released statement – read it here…