Posted: Tue 12th Mar 2019

‘Shocked’ Ian Lucas MP responds to evidence session: “I did not take part in a cover up and would never do so” for people living in or visiting the wrexham area
This article is old - Published: Tuesday, Mar 12th, 2019

Wrexham’s MP has strongly responded to evidence given yesterday to the overarching inquiry into allegations of child sexual abuse and exploitation involving people of public prominence associated with Westminster.

Earlier we reported the evidence given by Jane Lee, the former secretary of the local Labour branch for Gresford and Rossett in the late 1980’s when Ian Lucas was Chairman of the branch. Ms Lee gave her version of an alleged pre-meeting conversation in the late 1980’s discussing allegations made against then Chester MP Peter Morrison, and later adding she was disappointed with Mr Lucas’s submission (more here).

This morning a ‘shocked’ Ian Lucas responded to the claims made.

Mr Lucas told us: “I was a member of the local Labour Party in the 1980s and had no contact whatsoever with the national Labour Party or the Chester Labour Party in relation to Peter Morrison.

“I did not take part in a cover up and would never do so. I am shocked that Jane should suggest this.

“Her evidence contained a number of inaccuracies and I can only assume she is confused about what happened.

“I set out what happened in my statement to the Inquiry.”

His full statement to the Inquiry is below…

Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email


Plans for “gradual and progressive return to NHS activity” in Wales


Police ask for dashcam footage after “bottles and stones” thrown at cars on Ruthin Road


“People’s behaviour” could determine if further lockdowns taken place in winter as CMO views released


Police urge people to stay away from Quarry pools after series of incidents in North Wales


North Wales residents ‘not receiving lesser health service’, minister insists after 1,700 mental health patients wrongly discharged


Missing 16-year-old found “safe and well”