A reminder to take ‘extra care’ during tonight’s Valentine’s Day celebrations has been issued by North Wales Fire and Rescue Service.
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service wants people to take extra care tonight if they are planning on creating a romantic setting – especially if using a naked flame. Tea-lights and alcohol can be a recipe for disaster if they’re not used in the correct way, and leaning over a candlelit dinner could result in setting fire to hair or clothes.
Cooking is the biggest source of house fires in the county and it’s important to ensure that if you are preparing a meal that you don’t get distracted.
Candles can build the mood for special meals but they must be kept away from flammable objects such as curtains, towels or bedding. Tea-lights can generate temperatures throughout the metal base of over 200 degrees so always use tea light holders and never place direct onto baths or televisions and always make sure candles are properly extinguished when you go to bed.
When cooking remember that more than 50 per cent of house fires start in the kitchen so:take care when frying. Make sure that grills and ovens are clean as fat and grease can ignite when heated and never leave cooking unattended – don’t get distracted.
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service offer free home fire safety checks, where a member of the Service will visit your home, give fire safety hints and tips, help you to formulate a fire escape plan and fit new alarms – all free of charge. This service is available to all residents in North Wales.
To register for a free home fire safety check, please call the 24 hour free hotline on 0800 169 1234, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk
Discuss this with fellow wrexhamites our Wrexham Forums. Other recent threads on the forums include:
Connect Magazine Issue 44 Summer 2014 (paper version)
School Transport Chaos
"Cannabis farm near you.." story
Museum Meeting To Consider Collections Sell Off To Pay For Frontline Services
Thoughts On Wrexham's Art & Cultural Hub?
Wrexposure Festival Cancelled??
Removal Of Councillor Malcolm King As Lead Member