A disused chapel could be converted into residential property if proposals are approved.
The Trinity Presbyterian Church in Acrefair could be converted into three houses if a planning application is passed by Wrexham Council.
It is proposed that the property is changed into two houses consisting of two bedrooms and one, three bedroom property.
Along with this a vestry building at the back of the chapel would also be included in the residential development.
The Chapel itself was built in 1880 in the ‘simple Gothic style of the gable entry'; with a hall and vestry later added in 1910. However the property has remained vacant since 2008.
Within the application’s Design and Access Statement it notes: “The intention is to retain the charm and character of the original building, with minimal disruption to the existing window and door openings of the chapel.”
The Design and Access Statement goes on to add that the conversion of the exterior will be limited to modernising the existing window.
Further details of how the conversion will work are also provided. The first unit will be a three bedroom, semi-detached property, while the remaining two units will be divided into two semi detached houses with two bedrooms.
Six parking spaces would also be provided for the housing.
The Design and Access Statement goes on to conclude: “This conversion should be supported by the local authority, as it is creating new homes within an existing building that is otherwise disused.
“Using the building as a chapel was no longer viable, so converting it into affordable homes will allow us to restore a historical building in the area and bring the building back to use within the local community.”
The application will go before Wrexham’s Planning Committee at a later date.
Discuss this with fellow wrexhamites our Wrexham Forums. Other recent threads on the forums include:
Stretch of Ruthin Road opposite Bellevue Park
Litter on A483
St David's Day
Pure Gym 24/7
Retail Development at King's Mill Public House
Support your local university
More Town Centre Consultants appointed