NOTE: This content is old - Published: Monday, Oct 15th, 2012.
Wrexham’s community fundraiser, Kevin Forbes for the Poppy Appeal has been in touch asking the people of Wrexham “Can you make a difference?”
The Poppy Appeal for 2012 will run from Saturday 27th October until Saturday 10th November. Poppies will be available from numerous local outlets including the major supermarkets from 27th October. Last years appeal raised over £460,000 in North Wales alone – with £39 million raised nationally.
The Poppy Appeal relies on volunteers to ensure that the Appeal runs smoothly.
Kevin said “We already have a significant number of volunteers but on the basis of ’many hands make light work’ we would welcome more volunteers to staff the supermarket collection points or to collect on the streets on the appointed days. Wherever you live in North Wales there is an opportunity to assist the best known charity campaign in the UK”
“The Legion provides immediate support and life-long care to Armed Forces families in need. and to do so we need to raise £42 million from the 2012 campaign to carry out our vital work.”
They are looking for people to help in the following ways:
- At your place of work From 27th October-10th November
- In one of the supermarkets From 27th October-10th November
- In town 2nd and 3rd Nov 9th and 10th Nov
- As drivers for Delivery and Collections 22nd /23rd October and 12/13th Nov
Could you spare us your time and take on the challenge to help Serving and ex-Service men and women in need? If so get in touch :
Ring Freephone 0800 085 5924 or 01978 754593 or visit www.poppy.org
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or Write to:
Kevin Forbes (Community Fundraiser)
PO Box 2254
Amongst the many services provided for beneficiaries are:
- Immediate needs grants of cash, goods or services.
- A Benefits and Money Advice service, with the average person £3,000 better off as a result.
- A pioneering ‘Be the Boss scheme’ which has helped 1,000 Service leavers set up their own business through funding and mentoring.
- Support for homeless veterans or those at risk of homelessness through our Client Support Officers.
- A Handy Van service,branded as ‘Poppy Calls’ which assists people to live independently for longer.
In addition, ‘The Legion’ has committed £50 million over ten years to support the MoD’s programme of recovery for wounded, injured and sick Armed Forces personnel
We gave 8,000 people a well-deserved break, including ‘bucket and spade’ holidays for families reunited on RnR and, adventure breaks for Service children.
Kevin said “To enable all of this to happen the money to finance our welfare programme has to be raised through the Poppy Appeal both at remembrance time in November and also throughout the year. If you could spare some time to support those who gave so much by helping in the supermarkets or collecting in the a town centre near to you please contact me ”