Wrexham.com for people living in or visiting the wrexham area

“My concerns include bus routes which provide transport for isolated and elderly constituents in the area”

NOTE: This content is old - Published: Sunday, Dec 24th, 2017.

Clwyd South’s MP has spoke of her “significant concern” for residents in rural parts of the county borough following the announcement that a local bus company was to ‘cease trading’.

Susan Elan Jones MP has written to Wrexham Council expressing her concerns over a number of routes which have been left with transport following the closure of D Jones & Son.

Last weekend Wrexham.com reported that Acrefair based company had announced it was to cease trading after its last service on Saturday 16th December.

The company had 20 buses covering a number of routes across the county borough, including 12 bus routes and a number of local schools.

Speaking last weekend Lead Member for Environment and Transport, Cllr David A Bithell, confirmed alternative transport had been arranged for schools, however warned of likely disruption on routes across the county borough.

Ms Jones said the loss of D Jones & Son was of “significant concern following the cessation of GHA coach services last year.”

She added: “My concerns particularly include the 5, 6, 9, 10, J50 and 146 bus routes which provide transport for isolated and elderly constituents in the area.

“I hope Wrexham County Borough Council get new bus routes running as a matter of urgency. I have written to the Council to express my concern as well as making representations to the Welsh Government in relation to this situation.”

Earlier in the week Wrexham Council confirmed that replacement providers for four routes have been secured so far, however several rural areas served by D Jones & Son remain without alternative transport.

The secured services, and their new providers, are:

•35 – Plas Goulbourne – Arriva
41 – Wrexham Industrial Estare – Arriva
C56 – Chester (via Holt) – Stagecoach
•146 – Whitchurch – Pat’s Coaches

Although the new services will require the approval of the office of the Traffic Commissioner, Wrexham Council say it is confident these new services can be back on the road as soon as possible.

Two new services have also been confirmed to cover the Penycae, Rhos and Johnstown areas . Both of which will begin on Sunday 7th January 2018.

Speaking earlier in the week week, Cllr David A Bithell, Lead Member for Environment and Transport, said: “I’m pleased that officers have been able to secure these routes working with with operators as a lot of concern was raised when D Jones & Son ceased trading. These routes should now hopefully relaunch very soon.

“While approval of the office of the Traffic Commissioner is required, the commissioner has noted that the new secured services will be dealt with as a matter of urgency, which we are supporting.

“We know that there are other routes yet to be secured, but officers will continue to work hard to try and restore them as soon as possible.”

Share this now:

.