A man from Acrefair had a lucky escape after sleeping through a fire caused by a discarded cigarette.
Two crews from Wrexham were called to Bran, Acrefair just after 9pm yesterday after neighbours heard a smoke alarm going off in the next door property.
On arrival at the scene firefighters led the middle aged male occupant, who had slept through the alarms, from the property to safety.
A hose reel and two sets of breathing apparatus were used to extinguish the fire.
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service have said that the fire was caused by a carelessly discarded cigarette and that it caused light smoke damage to both floors of the property.
The man was checked over by paramedics at the scene as a precaution.
Tony Jones from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: “Had the alarms not alerted the neighbours we could very easily be dealing with another fire death here in North Wales.
“The fire appears to have been caused by a carelessly discarded cigarette in the kitchen.
“Our advice is to use a proper, heavy ashtray that can’t tip over easily and is made of a material that won’t burn and make sure your cigarette is not still burning when you are finished put it out.”
Discuss this with fellow wrexhamites our Wrexham Forums. Other recent threads on the forums include:
Protecting the Paedophiles - Which WCBC councillors voted for Jillings to be pulped??
Egerton / King Street Regeneration
Famous People spotted in Wrexham
Patient treatment needs utmost priority
Memorial Hall Soul Night