Wrexham’s MP Ian Lucas has raised concerns that the Government is not doing enough to help people who may lose TV signals as frequencies are freed up for mobile internet services.
People who receive signals from the Moel y Parc and Llanddona transmitters, near Mold, had to retune their set-top box last week as part of preparations for 4G mobile internet. The transmitters cover a large region of North East Wales, including parts of Wrexham.
However, there are concerns that people could lose TV reception once services start operating fully. The Government has set aside £180 million to help those people who lose signals. Earlier this year, Mr Lucas raised concerns over the switchover with the then Culture Secretary, Jeremy Hunt, in the Commons and whether the Government had done enough to help people affected.
Speaking today, he said ” met with representatives of various groups with an interest in the Freeview switchover earlier this year, and they told me of their concerns that not enough had been set aside to cope with any problems.
“The auction of 4G frequencies will raise the Government a large amount of money – but it also means that up to three quarters of a million people could lose TV channels as 4G signals interfere with Freeview ones.
“The retune in North Wales has now happened, and once the 4G auctions – whose launch is expected soon – have completed, the new services will begin. This is expected to be at some point next year. I will be closely monitoring the situation when that launch happens to see how Wrexham is affected.”
Last week some @wrexham twitter followers complained of poor reception and TV troubles:
Anyone else having probs receiving Freeview in @wrexham? I know we're supposed to retune – and have done so – but now have dodgy reception.
— Moz (@wxmmoz) November 15, 2012