Plans for a new drive thru coffee shop and petrol station in Wrexham have been deferred until further details on road and traffic safety have been provided.
Members of the planning committee made the decision on the proposed development near Wrexham Golf Course / Llan-y-Pwll Link Road last Friday after a site visit.
The plans for the site had been recommended for approval by the council’s head of environment and planning, Lawrence Isted, who said: “The lack of any roadside services between the Wrexham Industrial Estate and the A483 trunk road is considered to be a very exceptional circumstance which outweighs any harm caused to the green barrier by the loss of a small amount of green barrier land.”
However earlier this month several councillors raised concerns about traffic and highway safety, opting to carry out a site visit before making any final decision.
Speaking last Friday after the visit, Cllr I David Bithell, said: “My view is the highways officer has not convinced me that there is not an issue there. There is a safety issue there.
“A 30 tonne vehicle coming out from this new development from a static position is going to take longer to get out than a car. We all saw issues with drivers coming down at speed. I will not be supporting this.”
Such comments were echoed by Cllr Graham Rogers, who said: “The concern I have got is it the right location? Possibly as it is beneficial to people travelling and too to the Industrial Estate.
“My concern is the speed coming onto the roundabout. If that can be addressed I would support the application.”
He added: “I suggest we defer it and it comes back once we have addressed with developer about how they are prepared to address the concerns.”
The meeting was told there were potential options including reducing the speed limit on the approach to the roundabout and that visibility screens could be introduced to help reduce speeding in the area.
It was also noted by the planning officer that there were recommendations to include “some measures to assist with the slowing of traffic in the southbound direction” as motorists approach the roundabout.
The committee were also warned that if they voted in favour of a deferral, there is a risk that the applicants could apply for non-determination – taking the final decision out of the committee’s hand.
Chairman of the committee, Cllr Mike Morris, acknowledged that there “seems to be some sort of the proposal” and advised the committee they need to be clear that road safety is the only issue they are concerned about.
Committee members voted in favour of deferring the application until further information on traffic and highway safety is provided.
Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email News@Wrexham.com