Posted: Thu 30th Jul 2020

Health Board say “majority of new cases identified in the past few days have been as a result of community transmission”

Wrexham.com for people living in or visiting the wrexham area

The Health Board have issued an update on the local situation at Wrexham Maelor Hospital.

Previously we were told no local information would be released, however that position was changed on Monday when details of “between 60 and 70” confirmed cases was released, with an update on Tuesday that noted “70 and 80 confirmed cases”, and yesterday stating “between 60 and 70”.

Gill Harris, Executive Director of Nursing and Midwifery at Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board, said: “As of this morning there were 63 confirmed COVID-19 cases at Wrexham Maelor Hospital. However, this number is expected to fluctuate throughout the day as test results are received.”

The previous updates did not contain precise figures, however as a reference point some data was released via a Plaid Cymru press release earlier today:



Gill Harris carried on her comment by saying, “We have had a high incidence of patients contracting COVID-19 at the hospital in recent weeks and people are understandably anxious about this. We would encourage anyone with concerns to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Support Service on 03000 851 234, or email BCU.Pals@wales.nhs.uk. We are confident that the infection prevention measures we have put in place are helping to reduce hospital transmission. The majority of new cases identified in the past few days have been as a result of community transmission of the virus.

“We continue to have a small number of confirmed cases at Deeside Community Hospital, Chirk Hospital, and Mold Community Hospital. Due to the risk of identifying patients, we will not be providing specific numbers for the three sites. A number of measures have been put in place to help these community hospitals manage the risk of COVID-19.

“As part of a proactive approach at Wrexham Maelor Hospital, we have instigated universal screening for all patients on wards where we may or have had a COVID-19 positive patient. This is in addition to screening every patient admitted to our hospitals. All patients who test positive are appropriately isolated and all infection prevention and control measures are in place. All staff have access to the appropriate PPE, and staff who have worked in an environment where we have a confirmed positive cluster have also been tested, in accordance with national guidance.

“As we continue with this proactive approach we expect to find more cases in patients and staff who are not currently symptomatic. This is crucial as it will provide a transparent and accurate picture of the current situation, enabling us to safely manage patients and prevent any unknown potential transmission.

“We continue to ask for the public’s help in managing the spread of COVID-19 in our communities. We want to limit the number of visitors to our hospital sites and as hospital visiting is still suspended, we are asking that you only have someone accompany you if necessary. If you are unable to attend an appointment please notify us as soon as possible.

“Please continue to follow the public health guidance around regular hand washing and following social distancing guidance to help prevent transmission of the virus.

“We continue to ask patients, the public and staff to wear face coverings in public areas of our hospitals.

“Mobile testing centres continue to be available at Caia Park Health Centre (Prince Charles Road) and Hightown Community Resource Centre (Fusilier Way). People will be able to get a test without booking by attending either site between 9am and 6pm for the next few days. Anyone who is concerned they have symptoms of COVID-19, however mild, should get tested.

“Testing will help us to identify positive cases of COVID-19 in our communities, and support people in self-isolating to prevent the spread of the virus. If you aren’t experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, you can still play your part by continuing to follow the guidance on hand hygiene, social distancing, and the latest advice from Public Health Wales and the Welsh Government.”



Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email News@Wrexham.com


More...

Wrexham organisation prepared to hit the road again after receiving Welsh Government support

News

Brave mum diagnosed with breast cancer at height of coronavirus crisis urges others not to delay treatment

News

Welsh Ambulance Service experiences its busiest day since New Year after dealing with 1,495 incidents

News

Police warning after “car key burglary” in Wrexham

News

Updated: Maelor School and Coleg Cambria students receive their A Level results

News

Senior education group critical of exam results – claiming ‘significant inconsistencies at learner and subject level within individual schools’

News