Wrexham.com for people living in or visiting the wrexham area

Groves building to be looked at for primary school use – 43 days after it was deemed surplus to requirements

NOTE: This content is old - Published: Tuesday, Oct 24th, 2017.

Wrexham Council’s Lead Member for Education Phil Wynn has today stated a feasibility study is planned to look at using the old Groves building for possible use as a primary school.

Just over a month ago Councillor Phil Wynn made it clear that the building was ‘currently surplus to educational requirements’, pointing to a ‘wider discussion’ about possible future uses. When we queried last month if the Council’s bid for Welsh Government cash included money for the Groves building itself we were told the site was included but nothing specific on the building – a position echoed in a later meeting.

Councillor Marc Jones used the opportunity all Councillors and members of the public have to ask questions at the start of Executive Board meetings to query: “In October 2015, the council withdrew the Groves site from sale to Coleg Cambria stating that it was needed for educational purposes.”

“In September 2017, the lead member for education stated that the site was surplus to educational requirements. So my question is what appraisal has been made to come to that decision and who made that decision?”

Lead Councillor for Education Phil Wynn responded, “As you are aware we have submitted our strategic outline plan to Welsh Government to access funding under their 21st century Band B programme to improve the fabric of our school buildings.”

“I wish to stress the future use of the Groves site is dependant on this source of funding which if secured will allow Officers and myself to move to the next stage of delivery for the site.”

Speaking of discussions with the local councillor for Maesydre Paul Jones and the Council Leader, Phil Wynn added: “Assurances have been provided a feasibility study will be commissioned to look at the delivery of primary school provision within the Groves site and the listed building itself.”

No follow up questions were allowed.

Previously Councillor Pritchard had said he would be looking to Welsh Government to perhaps help fund such a study.



Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email News@Wrexham.com


Share this now:

.