Posted: Tue 31st Mar 2020

Firefighters urge residents to take extra care after four cooking fires in 12 hours

Wrexham.com for people living in or visiting the wrexham area
This article is old - Published: Tuesday, Mar 31st, 2020

Firefighters are urging people in North Wales to take extra care after attending four cooking fires within 12 hours.
A senior fire officer is now asking the public to listen to safety advice and help reduce the demand on the service.

Firefighters were called to an incident Lamberton Drive, Wrexham, at 10.46pm on Sunday involving unattended cooking, as well as calls elsewhere in North Wales – Uxbridge Court, Bangor involving an electric steamer melted on an electric hob at 6.30pm. This was followed by an incident involving cooking left unattended at a property on Marine Road, Prestatyn at 9.52pm.

They also attended a further fire involving a chip pan at Tryweryn Place, Wrexham at 12.52am yesterday morning.

Paul Scott, senior fire safety manager, said: “Our big appeal to the public at this difficult time is for them to take extra care, and keep basic fire safety in mind to help avoid incidents such as these and reduce the demand on our firefighters.

“These incidents were completely avoidable – and the biggest favour you can do us right now is avoid having an emergency.



“Thankfully no-one was hurt in these fires but the outcome could have been very different – with firefighters having to lead the occupants in the Wrexham incident outside to safety.

“Across Wales, over 40% of all fires in the home start in the kitchen – showing just how easy preparing a meal can turn to disaster. With more people spending more time cooking at home, this number could rise even higher.

“Just one distraction really could spell disaster – it sounds obvious but getting distracted is one of the main causes of a kitchen fire, whether it’s a distraction from our children or simply using a mobile phone or tablet.

“Time and time again we attend house fires which have started in the kitchen – it is so easy to forget your cooking, especially if you are tired, distracted or have been drinking. However, the consequences can be devastating.

Here are Paul’s top tips for safety in the kitchen:

  • If you leave the room take the cooking off the heat
  • Don’t use matches or lighters to light gas cookers. Spark devices are safer
  • Always make sure that any handles are turned away from the edge of the cooker
  • Keep the oven, hob and grill clean – a build-up fat and grease can easily catch fire
  • Never hang anything to dry above the cooker or leave anything on the cooker top
  • Take care if you are wearing loose clothing as it can easily catch fire
  • When you’ve finished cooking make sure everything is turned off
  • Turn off electrical appliances when they are not being used
  • Never use a chip pan – use a thermostatically controlled deep fat fryer, air fryer or use oven chips
  • Get fitted with smoke alarms – they are free of charge and could save your life.
  • Never run back into the property, once you are out stay out! Inhaling the smoke could seriously affect your chances of coming out of the property a second time.
  • Cooking after drinking is a recipe for disaster. Countless fires are caused each year by people drinking alcohol and deciding to cook a snack for themselves before going to bed.

(Top pic: archive shot of local firefighters)



Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email News@Wrexham.com

More...

Mental health charity left ‘appalled’ after almost 1,700 patients in North Wales wrongly discharged

News

Youth and Community Work students helping their area tackle the Covid-19 pandemic

News

Ceiriog Valley volunteers rally together to deliver roast dinners to those in self isolation

News

Dampening down continues at landfill fire – air quality equipment installed and ‘levels are under national threshold’

News

First Minister explains new five mile rule in Wales and answers cross border question

News

“Are we at the end of the risk of people dying from from Coronavirus in Wales? Definitely not.” – ‘R’ figure stays at 0.8

News