A family of five had a lucky escape after they were awoken by a fire caused by an electrical fault in a tumble drier in the early hours of this morning.
The family – two parents and three girls aged 3, 7 and 9 were taken to hospital as a precaution and were later discharged.
Two crews from Wrexham were called to the property in Llandegla at 01.26hrs.
Fire damage was confined to the tumble drier and smoke damage to the utility room.
Bob Mason from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: “This fire highlights the danger of electrical fires – they can strike anytime, anywhere.
“It’s important to be as prepared as possible in the event of fire, by ensuring that working smoke alarms are fitted in your home and that you have clear escape routes to enable you and your family to exit your home as quickly as possible. Never try to tackle a fire yourself – get out, stay out and call the fire and rescue service out.
“There are some simple steps you can take to help to keep safe from an electrical fire in your home;
- DON’T overload plug sockets
- DO Regularly check for worn or frayed wires
- DO Unplug appliances when not in use
- DO Keep appliances clean and in good working order
- Switch off appliances before going to bed
“Remember that North Wales Fire and Rescue Services offers free home fire safety checks and, where necessary, free smoke alarms. By calling 0800 169 1234 or visiting www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk you can arrange for a member of staff to visit your home and offer fire safety advice specific to you and your household.”