Wrexham.com for people living in or visiting the wrexham area

‘Discarded Smoking Material’ Caused Large Fire in Llangollen

NOTE: This content is old - Published: Thursday, Mar 16th, 2017.

A large fire in Llangollen last night was caused by discarded ‘smoking material’.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service were called to the blaze on Llangollen Panorama shortly after 7:30pm last night.

Five fire fighters, including two crews from Wrexham, Llangollen, Chirk and Buckley tackled the blaze for several hours – which spanned across two hectares (20,000sqm) of heather.

The last appliance left the scene at 11:10pm last night, with one crew returning to examine the scene this morning.

A spokesperson for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service confirmed the fire is believed to be accidental and was caused by discarded smoking materials.

Earlier this afternoon Andy sent the top picture of the damage caused by the blaze.

There was local speculation that a controlled burn off had taken place, with a reminder tweet earlier today:

You can see pictures and video from the incident last night by clicking here…

Share this now: