Controversial plans to build more than 80 new homes in part of Wrexham will soon be considered following a long wait.
Macbryde Homes originally applied to create the large development in the Summerhill area of Gwersyllt in August 2017.
A series of public meetings were held shortly after at which residents and community leaders expressed concerns about the additional traffic the scheme on land near Top Road would generate.
The fate of the proposals remains undecided more than two years later, but Gwersyllt west councillor Gwenfair Jones has revealed they will finally go before Wrexham Council’s planning committee in October.
Despite being a member of the committee, she said she would be unable to vote on the plans as a result of previously expressing her objections.
However, the Plaid Cymru politician has pledged to speak on behalf of villagers when the 82 property development comes under the microscope.
She said: “The road infrastructure is my main concern as the road going up there is just not fit for another 160 cars.
“Top Road is bad as it is, it’s on the corner of the junction and it’s just ridiculous really. There’s also no footpath there and Summerhill hasn’t got a single shop.
“This one has been to Cardiff (Planning Inspectorate) before in 2007 and it was turned down.”
The 13.5 acre site was most recently used for horse grazing and is close to the Moss Valley. The proposed scheme includes a number of affordable homes, as well as a new public footpath.
The developers said improvements would also be made to the road network if the plans move ahead.
In a planning statement entered on their behalf, architects from Fieldcrest Associates said: “The development proposals will significantly enhance the existing local highway network and pedestrian infrastructure in the vicinity of the site.
“The site benefits from being located in close proximity to the bus stops located on the Top Road and Summerhill Road which provide services that are ideally placed to cater for the needs of the residents and visitors.
“There is no evidence to suggest that the proposals would have an adverse effect on road safety or the number of accidents in the vicinity.
“Based on the above it is the conclusion of this report that there are no material reasons why the proposed development should not be granted planning consent on highways or transportation grounds.”
The proposals will be considered at a planning committee meeting being held at Wrexham’s Guildhall on Monday 7 October.
By Liam Randall – BBC Local Democracy Reporter (more here on the LDR scheme).
Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email News@Wrexham.com