The new-look Park Community Primary School in Llay received its official opening on Tuesday 23rd October following a multi-million-pound makeover.
Around 100 guests, including governors, members of the local community, and council workers were given a tour of the school before the Mayor of Wrexham, Cllr Ian Roberts unveiled a commemorative plaque. During the tour, which headteacher Amanda Williams told the guests would portray the past, present and future of the school, students performed songs and raps and even demonstrated an iMovie they’d made themselves.
Students also teamed with an adult choir, comprised of current and former staff, governors and community members, to perform a specially composed anthem which Matt Baker and Georgina West of Chester’s Theatre In The Quarter had written and worked on with the pupils.
Cllr Michael Williams, Lead Member – Children’s Services & Education said:
“This is further evidence of our commitment to improving school buildings for children and staff to ensure our young people are taught in an environment that will bring out the best of their abilities. I hope that pupils at Park Community Primary School will enjoy these excellent new faculties for many years to come.”
Amanda Williams, Headteacher at Park Community Primary School said:
“This is a very proud day for the school. These refurbishment works will enhance the school’s learning experience for children to ensure they reach their full potential. We are grateful for the investment by the local authority and look forward to continuing and improving on the already significant achievements the school has made.”
The £4.5m project included the refurbishment of the existing junior school as well as the building of a new extension for infant and pre school class. 80% of the funding was provided by the Welsh Assembly and the remaining 20% was funded by the local authority.
The refurbishment is part of a number of improvements to school buildings throughout the county borough. Three secondary schools – Bryn Alyn in Gwersyllt, Darland in Rossett and The Maelor in Penley – have received £20 million of improvement works, while works are also progressing on a new £6 million Welsh Medium Primary School in Gwersyllt which is set to open in September 2013.
Discuss this with fellow wrexhamites our Wrexham Forums. Other recent threads on the forums include:
Felin puleston Bridge
Wing Commander Ken Rees
Connect Magazine Issue 44 Summer 2014 (paper version)
School Transport Chaos
"Cannabis farm near you.." story
Museum Meeting To Consider Collections Sell Off To Pay For Frontline Services
Thoughts On Wrexham's Art & Cultural Hub?