Est. 2011
Read 543,175 times in last 30 days *
Wrexham.com

Go Back   Wrexham.com Forums > Wrexham.com Forums > Wrexham & Surrounding Area Forum

Wrexham & Surrounding Area Forum Discussion of things in and around Wrexham.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 09:33 PM

Default Märkischer Kreis

Is the Wrexham County Borough still twinned with the Märkischer Kreis district?
It would be nice to think no money is being wasted on this type of frivolity with regards to the recent cutbacks.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Wrexham.com'er

Default Re: Märkischer Kreis

Possibly remaining twinned but I was sure it rang a bell and it does - Wrexham Council Cuts Detailed For First Time | Wrexham.com

No more visits so to save £9000
Old 12-01-2013, 09:59 PM

I'll be able to sleep tonight now Rob
Old 12-02-2013, 09:52 AM

£9000 probably pays for itself a hundred fold in reciprocal trade ...as is the case with a Mayor, who in respect of international trade relations is an essential piece of the jigsaw.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxm View Post
£9000 probably pays for itself a hundred fold in reciprocal trade ...as is the case with a Mayor, who in respect of international trade relations is an essential piece of the jigsaw.
I disagree about the Mayor. International trade relations, due to having a non-elected Mayor with no powers? Are you sure?
Old 12-02-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
The word 'probably' in the statement suggests it would be difficult to prove also.
Hundredfold...pah, doubt it
Iceman likes this.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:41 PM

Twin towns: should councils partner with foreign friends? | Local Leaders Network | Guardian Professional
Old 12-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Wrexham.com'er

When did twinning start?

Sounds a post war concept to encourage a connection to condition people not to kill each other. If so, and its a total guess, whats that worth
Old 12-02-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
When did twinning start?

Sounds a post war concept to encourage a connection to condition people not to kill each other. If so, and its a total guess, whats that worth
It was a concept around 60 years ago, surely we need to move forward and understand that these relationships have long since healed.
I couldn't care less if the relationship with Märkischer Kreis was dissolved entirely.
At least the £9000 annual saving can be put to better use, private car reg plates for the Mayor or something else more tangible
Steve likes this.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:

It's always difficult to make the case for the more abstract things that we do as a community. I can see why it might be prudent to cut back whilst times are tough but this form of international networking is a vital component of developing our tourism and our trade links. I quite agree on the point about the Mayor and my only complaint on this subject is that our Mayor has no Executive powers to help counterbalance the Council itself