Est. 2011
Read 846,615 times in last 30 days *
Wrexham.com

Go Back   Wrexham.com Forums > Wrexham.com Forums > Wrexham & Surrounding Area Forum

Wrexham & Surrounding Area Forum Discussion of things in and around Wrexham.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 02:39 PM

Default New Speed Limits - No notice?

I have noticed today a number of new speed limits in and around Wrexham in particular that the A525 to Coedpoeth is now a 50 mph limit.

Firstly, I fully support road safety initiatives and I realise the requirement for drivers to observe and follow speed limits (before anybody jumps in!) but where was the notification for locals.

When you live in an area for many years, you automatically get used to the local limits so you think there would have been some sort of notice put out to local addresses or warning signs stating new limits were in force.

The limit signs on the Ruthin Road have also been erected in places where they are obscured by vegetation.

Smells like a money making scheme to me!
Old 09-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Default Re: New Speed Limits - No notice?

I think they impose these limits in the hope that it reduces accidents without the cost of erecting speed cameras. You can bet that after a few weeks they'll send out mobile units to catch as many as they can over the speed limit.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:32 PM

This has happened in Gwersyllt also. 70 has become 50 on the dual carriagway and 40 has become 30 by Bryn Alun School. No notice...it has just appeared.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:15 PM

There's a load of speed limit changes being put in place currently. Think WCBC do it every few years. I saw one big notice in the Leader, and a notice in the Overton Oracle regarding changes on the A528. Other than that there hasn't been a great deal.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Wrexham.com'er

Possibly another indication that statatory notices do not work.

Hundreds of thousands are spent on them locally to 'inform'. Utter waste of money IMHO.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:25 PM

Not much point in putting a notice in the Leader given their reader numbers!
Old 09-22-2013, 01:04 PM

The council have been changing the speed limits nearly everywhere.

Roads that have been national speed limit for years are now 50 or 40 with no warning signs and the biggest joke is the whole of Johnstown, Rhos and Penycae is now 20 crazy!

Its funny how the council has now made nearly every car driver into a law breaker. I have been behind tons of cars and they are not sticking to the new speed limits and by the way these are normal motorists not taxi drivers!

Education is the key not changing the speed limits and just annoying all the drivers and slowing everyone down who once past the stupid limits speed up!

Ludricous!
cmaj76 likes this.
LL11 1TA
01978 262829
Old 09-22-2013, 05:52 PM

It's very difficult to keep a modern car below 30 mph. In order to do that you must keep looking down at the dashboard, that in itself can be dangerous.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:46 PM
Wrexham.com'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondetto View Post
It's very difficult to keep a modern car below 30 mph. In order to do that you must keep looking down at the dashboard, that in itself can be dangerous.
Wasnt the current speed limit of 70 created in the 60's?

Cars have advanced alot in power, but also control of that power eg. Brakes / tyre tech
cmaj76 likes this.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:09 AM

Have you tried driving from Wrexham to Llay? It changes from 50, 40, 30, etc., and back again all over the place. Totally ridiculous
lazyjack and cmaj76 like this.