Est. 2011
Read 827,712 times in last 30 days *
Wrexham.com

Go Back   Wrexham.com Forums > Wrexham.com Forums > Wrexham & Surrounding Area Forum

Wrexham & Surrounding Area Forum Discussion of things in and around Wrexham.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zinger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 12:46 PM

Default Crime In North Wales Falls By 3%

Yes of course it has, because:
1. They are not recording many many categories
2. Many categories are excluded
3. There are not many proper police left
4. The plastic versions cannot record a crime
5. There is no money in it for them except harassing motorists
Need I go on?
But - just wait until the next elections are near and crime becomes a 'hot topic' again and then see the figures rise
Old 07-18-2014, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Crime In North Wales Falls By 3%

I have to take issue with the derogatory term 'plastic' associated with PCSOs.

Firstly they carry out important policing duties and are widely appreciated in our communities. They work closely with Town and Community Councils to be the effective policing presence in their communities.

Secondly they have considerable powers, including, but not limited to, power to seize vehicles, power to stop and search, power to seize drugs. There are a wide range of powers which are available to a PCSO. The one power they do not have is that of arrest. If they did it would result in them having to be in the office dealing with paperwork and attending court. Instead they are out in our communities. They do have the powers to detain suspects until a PC arrives.

I am more than happy to provide the full range of powers available to PCSOs and to defend their deployment in the County Borough. I can be contacted at Hugh.Jones@wrexham.gov.uk.

Hugh Jones
Lead Member Communities Collaboration and Partnership
Wrexham County Borough Council
Old 07-18-2014, 02:35 PM

I agree with Clr Hugh Jones that the PCSO provide a valuable service to the community.

I believe that they are funded by Wrexham CBC which is all well and good, but we are also paying for the Police through the Police precept on our council tax. Is this an admition that the police can not cope with the funding they have, or is it a way to disguise the true cost of policing?

Last edited by johnhoppy; 07-18-2014 at 02:38 PM. Reason: spelling errot
Old 07-19-2014, 08:49 AM

I do apologise I should have said 'poly (methyl methacrylate)' to give them their proper name!
Old 07-19-2014, 10:14 AM

A lot of PCSO's do appear to go around in pairs just chatting to each other, taking no notice of their surroundings.
MP1953 likes this.