Est. 2011
Read 869,711 times in last 30 days *
Wrexham.com

Go Back   Wrexham.com Forums > Wrexham.com Forums > Wrexham & Surrounding Area Forum

Wrexham & Surrounding Area Forum Discussion of things in and around Wrexham.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2014, 11:25 AM

Default Debenhams Rumours

Has anyone else heard the rumours that Debenhams may be leaving Wrexham? They've not made profit since the store opened on Eagles Meadow, and now there is rumour floating about that Primark may be moving into the unit if/when Debenhams decide to leave.

This doesn't surprise me at all as the store is always quiet, and has actually gone to look a bit shabby in recent months. However it would be sad if the staff were to be laid off because of this.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Debenhams Rumours

Not heard that. I did hear that Morrisons is cutting jobs though.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:40 PM

That rumour has been doing the rounds for a couple of years, but they're still here. When does their lease end?
Old 07-16-2014, 08:50 PM

Debenhams have 4 years left on there lease. As have M&S, so it would cost too much to buy out their lease at the moment. Watch this space in 4 years time though.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:05 PM

They are both on anchor tenancy agreements so not paying full cost - I wonder how long they would stay if it was a full rental agreement
Old 07-17-2014, 12:42 PM

There was another rumour floating about a while back that M&S were going to be moving into the old TJ Hughes store, now obviously if they have four years on their current lease then it's unlikely to happen, but if they were to move there it revitalise that part of town.

What has happened with M&S is that when they were in the town centre, in their old premises, they used to make most of their money in the food hall selling sandwiches and snacks etc to people on their lunch breaks from other stores etc. Since they moved to Eagles Meadow they don't pick up the same passing trade, and that's why their takings have dropped.

Eagles Meadow is basically a massive white elephant. The rates to rent a unit on there are astronomical which is why businesses don't stay there very long, the car park is an over priced rip off staffed by over Zealous parking attendants who'll fine you as soon as look at you, it's miles away from the bus station and it's too far for elderly and people with disabilities to walk to etc. Everything is against it, building it was a huge mistake.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:22 PM

It would have been good for the town & should the timing have been right, for Debenhams to move into TJ's with M & S moving into Woolworths using both floors. Although, I would rather have kept both Woolworths & TJ's in town with M & S taking over the Littlewoods store to extend. The old Co-op building might have been OK for Debenhams. I can but dream. I know that none of it would have been feasible. The moon is also made of green cheese.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big H View Post
Not heard that. I did hear that Morrisons is cutting jobs though.
not heard anything about Debenhams but the Morrisons one is true my sister in law has had her hours cut right back she was only on 20 hours to start with
Old 07-17-2014, 05:15 PM
Wrexham.com'er

There was a rumour last year that a Sainsbury's Local was due to move into Eagles Meadow as well. However that doesn't seem to have happened...!

Someone who works in Primark has commented on Facebook saying that they haven't heard anything regarding them moving down to Debenhams.

Another rumour was that BHS were looking to leave the town as well.

Do have to wonder where these rumours come from!
Old 07-17-2014, 05:22 PM
Wrexham.com'er

Quite a few comments on our FB page now, including one from a member of staff at Debenhams, who has said she can assure you it isn't closing.

https://www.facebook.com/wrexhamdotcom