Est. 2011
Read 834,315 times in last 30 days *
Wrexham.com

Go Back   Wrexham.com Forums > Wrexham.com Forums > Wrexham & Surrounding Area Forum

Wrexham & Surrounding Area Forum Discussion of things in and around Wrexham.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2014, 01:47 PM
Wrexham.com'er

Default Super Prison Name

"Wrexham MP, Ian Lucas has said that ‘the Wrexham community should be involved in the naming of a proposed new prison’ and has welcomed an indication from the Ministry of Justice that the prison would not be likely to be named after the town."

Do you think naming the prison after the town will impact the local economy?If so - what do you think the name of the Super Prison should be?

MP Calls For Community Involvement In Prison Naming | Wrexham.com
Old 06-24-2014, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Super Prison Name

HMP North Wales or HMP North East Wales.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:55 PM

Always believed in calling a spade a spade. If the prison is in Wrexham, it will be known as HMP Wrexham whatever fancy title is appended to it. I suppose one alternative could be HMP Pentre Maelor, but then again, does it really matter?
And yes, I believe it is likely to have an affect on the local economy - a positive one!
myfanwy likes this.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminM View Post
Always believed in calling a spade a spade. If the prison is in Wrexham, it will be known as HMP Wrexham whatever fancy title is appended to it. I suppose one alternative could be HMP Pentre Maelor, but then again, does it really matter?
And yes, I believe it is likely to have an affect on the local economy - a positive one!

Agreed!
Old 06-24-2014, 08:43 PM

Answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewi73 View Post
HMP Carreg tân

Just to save those people who will probably spend £50,000 the trouble
Do our children really want to be branded HMP Wrexham in 20yrs?
dewi73 likes this.

Last edited by wxm; 06-24-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:23 PM

Nice and simple :

'Y Carchar'
Old 06-25-2014, 07:31 AM

I really don't see that people will be labeled as coming from the town with the prison. Unless someone has been to prison or a member of the family/friends it will not even be on their horizon. The only other thing that will get it on peoples horizon will be if there is a riot!!
If someone comes from Shrewsbury, Liverpool, Stoke or any other place do people immediately think they are from a place with a prison-- I don't think so..
Old 06-25-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99DylanJones View Post
I really don't see that people will be labeled as coming from the town with the prison. Unless someone has been to prison or a member of the family/friends it will not even be on their horizon. The only other thing that will get it on peoples horizon will be if there is a riot!!
If someone comes from Shrewsbury, Liverpool, Stoke or any other place do people immediately think they are from a place with a prison-- I don't think so..
This will be the largest prison in the UK & second largest in Europe so may get a bit more publicity and media interest.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:26 AM

You took the words right out of my mouth Dylan. I think a good sized dose of realism is what is needed here.
I am damned sure that in 20 years time there will be more pressing items on the next generations' agenda than the name of a jail.
If the name of a prison is the only thing we have to worry about, I will be eternally grateful for that.
Jill likes this.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:38 AM

Of larger concern is who it will be run by, which looks like the last question that will be answered. I imagine some of the Labour councillors who helped to attract the prison to Wrexham and welcomed it with open arms might soon turn face if it's to be privately run.