Est. 2011
Read 596,873 times in last 30 days *
Wrexham.com

Go Back   Wrexham.com Forums > Wrexham.com Forums > Wrexham & Surrounding Area Forum

Wrexham & Surrounding Area Forum Discussion of things in and around Wrexham.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2014, 05:16 PM

Default Saving money by not cutting the grass.

I understand that the council must save money and that according to the BBC website, the grounds maintenance budget was cut by 300,000.

What I don't understand though, is what are the people who were doing the grass cutting etc. doing instead? Surely all the machinery that the council must own is just rusting away whilst the groundsmen are doing whatever they are doing instead of cutting the grass?
Old 04-29-2014, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Saving money by not cutting the grass.

Not cutting grass makes the area look untidy, and really indicates a lack of civic pride in our community.

If the staffing is there already, and the machinery is sitting around the only saving can only be on fuel, which will certainly not come to 300,000.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:06 PM

Is it actually the council that cuts the grass these days? When I noticed the grass being cut at the Ruthin Road depot the other Saturday it was a private firm doing the work.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:26 AM

I'm sure the cutting of football fields could be done by volunteers from various teams provided the equipment was made available. With all the equipment lying around will the Council start up a tool hire business!
Old 05-01-2014, 06:43 AM

I was hoping we might get a corresponding cut in our council tax...

Seriously though, there are some areas starting to look really untidy.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:32 AM

I passed Acton School yesterday and there were 5 year olds I would guess trying to kick a ball through 6 inches of grass ! the ball was hardly moving, is this what we have come to in Wrexham

Wrexham is being decimated
Old 05-01-2014, 06:44 PM

Looks like there will be sponsored grass cutting in school soon!!
MP1953 likes this.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:14 PM

The only good thing about the grass not getting cut is that the dandelions look amazing in places!
Old 05-07-2014, 09:24 AM

I have just passed by the back of the Guildhall where TWO grass cutters are doing an excellent job of keeping the grass nice and short, although it wasn't particularly long before they started, so on behalf of all the Students of Glyndwr University I would like to thank Wrexham Council for keeping the grass nice and short for us to sit on, UNFORTUNATLEY less than half a mile from the town the grass is a foot high..
Old 05-07-2014, 12:04 PM

The Chief Exec doesn't like the outlook from the office to be bad. Thats why they stopped ball games and regularly hassle the kids hanging out in the ill fated band stand.