Est. 2011
Read 886,368 times in last 30 days *
Wrexham.com

Go Back   Wrexham.com Forums > Wrexham.com Forums > Wrexham & Surrounding Area Forum

Wrexham & Surrounding Area Forum Discussion of things in and around Wrexham.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By johnhoppy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 08:48 PM

Default Stop Naming the August Bank Holiday

Hi peeps, not sure if your aware, but a bill about to get its second reading is passing through the House of Commons to rename the August Bank Holiday to Margaret Thatcher Day!!
I just signed the petition "Stop Naming the August Bank Holiday as Margaret Thatcher Day" and would ask all like minded folk to add your name too.

This campaign means a lot to a lot of people and the more support it can get behind it, the better chance it has of succeeding. You can read more and sign the petition here:

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petition...t-thatcher-day

Ta
Old 03-04-2014, 08:53 PM
Wrexham.com'er

Default Re: Stop Naming the August Bank Holiday

This is a genuine bill not a hoax - but early and IMHO not likely to happen - Margaret Thatcher Day Bill 2013-14 — UK Parliament
Old 03-04-2014, 10:37 PM

None of our Public Holidays should be named after politicians!!
NJones likes this.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:15 PM

As the 1st female P.M. she should, of course, have recognition.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfanwy View Post
As the 1st female P.M. she should, of course, have recognition.
Giving a person recognition is fine but I'm afraid I don't agree with naming days after them, whoever they may be. If this fad continues we will soon be celebrating some nonsense like Simon Cowell or Katie Price day!
Old 03-07-2014, 01:54 PM

I agree, it's nonsense, there was talk at one time making a bank holiday on the anniversary of Princess Diana's death.
Leave well enough alone I reckon.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:50 PM

I don't like politicians having days named after them. I'm not in that group that disparage Margaret Thatcher and think that she should be acknowledged as a national figure; I don't feel this is the way to do it.

I would prefer to see some part of our national History celebrated with a Bank Holiday attached to it so that events like Magna Carta, the termination of Slavery (Wilberforce), the 1688, the defeat of the Armada, Waterloo, or Trafalgar were all up for grabs.

If people are uncomfortable about the military type of things, there are always great deeds of Literature and Culture that could be allocated a national day- anything from the Beatles to Shakespeare