Wrexham’s Budget Debate

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham’s Budget Debate

• Author

wxm
    Participant

Now that Council meetings are broadcast on the webcast, can we please see a live debate on each of the budget areas of the budget?

wxm
    Participant

The twelve spending and budget areas in the accounts:

Central Services to the Public
    Cultural and Related Services
    Environmental and Regulatory Services
    Planning Services
    Children’s and Education Services
    Highways and Transport Services
    Local Authority Housing and Other Housing Services
    Adult Social Care
    Corporate and Democratic Core
    Non Distributed Costs
    Other Operating Expenditure
    Finance and Investment Income and Expenditure

wxm
    Participant

It is good to see that 800 people have responded to the council budget consultation. It will be important to know the detail of the results. However, the consultation was selective in the areas that it sought community views on, and in any organisation a properly scrutinised budget for the next year, with figures and an outlook on the next 3 to 5 years to come is essential.

Let us hope that we see scrutiny and debate broadcast on each line of the accounts, and a firm foundation set for the next 3 to 5 years.

99DylanJones
    Participant

Unfortunately 800 responses only equates to less than 0.5% of the population– people may have had the democratic right to respond but this level of apathy from residents is actually very worrying. Either people have totally turned off politics or they do not feel the Council would bother to read anything submitted as everything is already a ‘done deal’

MJN
    Participant

Was the population really made aware though. I found out about through the Wrexham.com website but what other avenues were taken? While voter apathy is a big problem in the UK I bet a great proportion of residents didn’t even know about it.

wxm
    Participant

@MJN 15995 wrote:

Was the population really made aware though. I found out about through the Wrexham.com website but what other avenues were taken? While voter apathy is a big problem in the UK I bet a great proportion of residents didn’t even know about it.

With the public budget such an important issue, can we ask the council to debate each one of the twelve areas in the council account on webcast, and use these debates to help produce a budget that the whole community can understand. As this topic was raised in the spring, there should be enough planning have taken place to broadcast a fully informed debate

99DylanJones
    Participant

I hope the Council publish a list of everything (if any) budget lines that have changed after the consultation. They are very quiet about what the public who took part have actually said.

wxm
    Participant

The announcements of ‘Healthy High Street’ and ‘Plas Madoc Comes Back to Life’ are so positive for Wrexham.

We now need to debate how each of area of the budget should be constructed and spent for the next 3 to 7 years (by the full Council), and then we can see an exciting future for Wrexham

99DylanJones
    Participant

I agree these are both good news stories but both of these are outside intervention not the Council — the High Street project is Business in the Community and Plas Madoc is SPLASH.
    The closure of Plas Madoc is firmly with the Council the reopening is SPLASH volunteers.
    The demise of the High Street has many factors of which the Council are a significant player — the change to success however will only come from the Private Sector investment as the Council have no financial resource other than external WG funding through Vubrant and Viable (which has already been allocated BEFORE the BiTc scheme will even commence).

JaneJ
    Participant

This thread was about the Council Budget consultation — can someone please let me know where the report outlining what has changed as a result of this process..
    Also speaking with colleagues in the Council they are awaiting with baited breath the findings of the PWC consultants- Price Waterhouse Cooper report that is going to be presented in January. Many of the Managers who are budget holders have not even seen what their final budget will be for April so what chance have the public got to find out.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News

Wrexham AFC Women Awarded first UEFA License and FAW Tier 1 License renews for 2024/25 Season

News

“Disrespectful” easter egg hunt in cemetery cancelled after backlash

News