Wrexham the Market Town

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham the Market Town

• Author

gogledd
    Participant

I was in Cardiff recently and their Central Market reminds me very much of our Butchers Market. there are several butchers, a large fishmonger (with queues of people) some craft stalls, spice stalls, infact ALL the stalls are full and the market is thriving. Its close to the Morgan Quarter which has 3 arcades again similar in some ways to Wrexhams arcades – except Cardiffs are thriving with niche shops. Get some advice WCBC. Markets seemto be making a comeback – everywhere except Wrexham.

gogledd
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 8725 wrote:

re: online
    there must be scope for some sort of joint website were a customer can buy all the goods from the market in one place and a pay a small delivery charge and get their purchase delivered.

I suggested this to the Town Centre Manager along with a carbon- free delivery system – a cargo bike to deliver. Not a great enthusiastic response to be honest.

wrexview
    Participant

A busy Butchers Market today, lots of atmosphere created by the children making spiders and their chattering parents. Another stall taken over by the Poppy Appeal was also attracting attention together with a couple of new stalls selling pictures and imitation flowers.

Iceman
    Participant

Butchers market=great. Peoples market=rubbish. Rubbish name, rubbish location, rubbish building. The fore runner to Eagles Meadow.

wrexview
    Participant

I agree about the name ” People’s Market” but what would you change it too?

Adam
    Participant

@Iceman 10082 wrote:

Butchers market=great. Peoples market=rubbish. Rubbish name, rubbish location, rubbish building. The fore runner to Eagles Meadow.

People will forgive a naff environment if the right products are on offer… see example below:

The Market Hall Shrewsbury

Note the variety and quality of goods on offer. More importantly note how many vacant stalls there are.

DR
    Participant

With regards to the Peoples Market, it will be interesting to see footfall figures and the like before and after the Santas Grotto, and if any increase in footfall helps traders. One point that was made after the market changes announcement, was that if the footfall is there and people still aren’t buying the products sold then that’s something for the traders to look into.

Below is the link to the original market discussion from September:

Reinvigoration Of Wrexham’s Indoor Markets Planned | Wrexham.com

Alunh
    Participant

@darryl 10088 wrote:

With regards to the Peoples Market, it will be interesting to see footfall figures and the like before and after the Santas Grotto, and if any increase in footfall helps traders. One point that was made after the market changes announcement, was that if the footfall is there and people still aren’t buying the products sold then that’s something for the traders to look into.

Below is the link to the original market discussion from September:

Reinvigoration Of Wrexham’s Indoor Markets Planned | Wrexham.com

I think that you are right to make this point Darryl and it could always be the case that the retail offer is poor anyway (and by implication an increase in foot-flow of little consequence). As someone who has pulled out of the People’s Market in May (and doubled my turnover since), I would add that many of the quality businesses that would have benefited from the reinvigoration are now trading elsewhere in the town. The reason? My rent for a larger unit in a better location is lower than a smaller unit in the People’s Market.

Wrexham Council can reinvigorate as much as they like but if they are not more savvy good money will follow bad

dewi73
    Participant

@Adam 10086 wrote:

People will forgive a naff environment if the right products are on offer… see example below:

The Market Hall Shrewsbury

Note the variety and quality of goods on offer. More importantly note how many vacant stalls there are.

Fair play Adam, best looking market I’ve seen for a while. My Missus could do with a trip out so I’ll let you all know how we get on.

Adam
    Participant

@Alunh 10100 wrote:

I think that you are right to make this point Darryl and it could always be the case that the retail offer is poor anyway (and by implication an increase in foot-flow of little consequence). As someone who has pulled out of the People’s Market in May (and doubled my turnover since), I would add that many of the quality businesses that would have benefited from the reinvigoration are now trading elsewhere in the town. The reason? My rent for a larger unit in a better location is lower than a smaller unit in the People’s Market.

Wrexham Council can reinvigorate as much as they like but if they are not more savvy good money will follow bad

To labour the point I made previously about the success of the Market Hall, as someone who has traded in the Peoples Market, how would you sum up the key differences? On the face of it the rents appear similar and, as implied earlier, neither are particularly pretty buildings, inside or out.

What probably impressed me most about the Market Hall was the creativity of some of the stall holders. For example, the fish mongers have taken the fight to the supermarkets by offering something they can’t – they got themselves an alcohol licence and a grill and started offering a glass of wine as some freshly grilled seafood to entice passers by. Of course it still requires support and vision from the council to allow changes like this to happen..

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News