Wrexham the Market Town

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham the Market Town

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

I went to the People’s Market this morning and noticed a new Market’s Office in one if the shops on the way into the main market , very smart it looked. Also inside they have removed the stalls completely along one side and allowed the windows to shine light right into the market, this gives it a much better appearance. I hope they manage to revamp that side and maintain the natural light levels. The introduction of hot water and preparation areas within stalls along that side would open up the potential too many different types of stall holder.

Rondetto
    Participant

I know the office you mention, next door to Kendrick’s newsagents. What annoys me is that the lights are on in that office 24/7 when there is no need to waste all that unless it is being used.

wrexview
    Participant

Odd you should mention that, they were on today but there was no one there.

Alunh
    Participant

The ‘shop’ in question was previously a letting office for houses/flats and before that a T Shirt printer. Both closed in part because of high rents (relative to footflow). Opposite was a clothes shop which closed, in part because of high rents relative to footflow. Besides this was a Pet shop which has now relocated to Bank Street….ditto reason. At the other end was a Camera shop and before that an Opticians….ditto reason. Opposite there used to be a Music, Film and Nostalgia shop (mine). This is now trading in Bank Street.

In the unit in question, I was paying a Rent of £760.00 per month (£9120.00 pa) for a small unit. In Bank Street I am paying £660.00 per month) for a unit which is close to being 50% bigger and greater footflow.

The idea of being all furcoat and no nickers is nothing new but in the case of the Council it is a truly fine art.

The ‘shop’ in question is designed to project a professional image for those who run the market. The phrase ‘the light was on but no one was in’ is truly applicable to this etsablishment

wrexview
    Participant

That is an illustration of the reason why all these shops and stalls are empty, the rents are too high and out of kilter with other properties on the open market in Wrexham.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

When you think for a open air stall market holder you can get 2 days a week all month for 128 with free parking thrown in and no rates to pay as well as footfall more than a closed market stall gets for all days all month, it’s a no brainer.

wrexview
    Participant

There is only one outdoor market day in Wrexham, Monday.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@wrexview 8606 wrote:

There is only one outdoor market day in Wrexham, Monday.

Corrected. :) sorry.

Alunh
    Participant

@wrexview 8604 wrote:

That is an illustration of the reason why all these shops and stalls are empty, the rents are too high and out of kilter with other properties on the open market in Wrexham.

Which leads us logically back to the key question that should be on everyone’s lips in Wrexham. If the Market authorities are setting out a stall (excuse the pun) that tries to create the impression that it wants to foster local SMEs, why on earth does it perpetuate this gap.

I have tried, and not always succeeded, since I was a kid to be as logical as possible. I see no logic in this unless the exercise is cosmetic and designed with an ulterior motive. For the life of me, I can’t work out what this might be. Please send all suggestions on a postcard to…….

Rondetto
    Participant

What happened to the farmers market and the French market they had every month in Wrexham? Have they died a death?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News