Wrexham ‘Super Prison’ planning has been GRANTED

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham ‘Super Prison’ planning has been GRANTED

• Author

Steve
    Participant

Oh well lets see if all the local jobs appear then……

I work in a Wrexham factory with several hundred employees and about 40% are from outside Wrexham. I would assume that people will be employed from other prisons rather than local unemployed?

Prison to house Cat C, but as is the ‘practice’ will be designed and built for Cat B. I wonder how long it will be before Cat B prisoners become residents?

Time will tell.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Good news and as expected.
    A shame though that 3 Councillors decided to sit on the fence and abstain from the vote.
    I suppose that is just another example of them displaying the courage of their convictions…not!
    If things go wrong (hopefully not), at least they’ve ensured their escape route from being held culpable for the decision!
    Spineless!
    It would be of interest to know who they were.

Liam
    Participant

Strange, I never saw abstaining as something worthy of a witch hunt. It’s a perfectly valid form of voting.

On a separate note, the real issue of concern is who the prison will be run by. I dare say that some of the councillors who have voted to approve the application wouldn’t be too happy if it were to be run privately. That said who runs it is obviously not a material planning consideration, however you only have to look at Oakwood to see why the prison should be run by the public sector. There is no accountability whatsoever from the likes of G4S and the standards speak for themselves.

Steve
    Participant

People are still posting on Twitter about 1000 jobs will be good for the area…..

From Wrexham.com the planning application says only 413 local jobs, and that will be on the high side to ensure that the planning application was successful.

“It was initially quoted that an estimated 1000 jobs could be created as a result of the prison being built. However in the planning application it is stated that around 764 could be employed, with around 413 jobs expected to go to people in the local area.”

As for all these local services who will supply the prison, who are they? Any local business who did manage to obtain a contract when the prison is up and running will soon be out bid by a national company with a better price.

So now they have sown that local jobs will be a lot less than 1000, even with the exaggerated number for the planning application and common sense tells us that they will go to national companies for the best priced suppliers and service providers… so why is the prison good for Wrexham?

wrexview
    Participant

The Council will need to be at their most proactive if they are to influence the Ministry of Justice over the building and more importantly who runs the prison. The work really begins at the detailed planning stage and provides the only opportunity to make it the right ” fit” for Wrexham.

jimbow
    Participant

@Liam 11167 wrote:

Strange, I never saw abstaining as something worthy of a witch hunt. It’s a perfectly valid form of voting.

I agree with Benjamin here.I can understand abstaining from voting when the councillor has a vested interest in the subject matter.However when an important matter such as a Prison comes up I expect my councillor not to sit on the fence.To abstain is a waste of the position to which the councillor was elected.

thunderbirdskid
    Participant

I also agree. Abstaining does not help the process. Especially on a subject hugely important to the town and its residents.

Rondetto
    Participant

Interesting discussion going on Radio Wales today. The phone in has been quite odd, only people from south Wales have been ringing in to say the cant understand why many Wrexham people are moaning about having this new super prison. They seem to think all the jobs will be allocated to local people.

wrexview
    Participant

No doubt there will discussions regarding a suitable name for the prison. The Maelor Prison or HMP Maelor Prison would reflect its location.

dewi73
    Participant

Surely a name which distances itself away from Wrexham would be better. Call it HMP Chester and see what reaction that would get from across the border!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Campaign launched to reduce motorcycle-related deaths and serious injuries in north Wales

News

Funding support for sustainable projects in Clwydian Range and Dee Valley

News

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News