Wrexham street clean up–

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham street clean up–

• Author

99DylanJones
    Participant

On the one hand I congratulate those people who volunteered today to clean up part of Wrexham Town Centre on the other unfortunately this has now handed on a plate a good reason for the Council to reduce/stop doing this type of cleaning which all of the businesses pay for as part of their Business Rates.. This is thin edge of a mighty wedge that will now be driven into the road cleaning and street scene budget for the town.
    I noticed non of the Councilors responsible for Street Scene, Economic development or budget setting didn’t turn up — is there a message in their absence.
    Have the Council formally stated they are not going to clean the Wrexham Streets which is why this action was triggered? Why can’t each business ensure their shop frontage is clean and tidy?
    Since when have we needed to get our Junior School children cleaning the streets — we will be getting them climbing drain pipes next and clearing gutters now there are no chimneys for them to sweep
    I really don’t wish to knock Nigel’s efforts for the town as he is a breath of fresh air but please don’t get dragged into these antics- lets get the business side of town sorted with investment and greater occupancy either as business or residential.

kariha
    Participant

Whilst I may agree that businesses should be able to expect some more support from the council with regards to the image/cleanliness of the streets in Wrexham, I think they are showing how the town centre can look. If the businesses don’t take ‘ownership’ of the appearance of the town centre, then it would appear that no one will.
    Also, the more welcoming the town centre is, I would imagine, makes it more attractive for potential tenants.
    As for including children and young people in the clean up – it is nothing new. Some thirty years ago I was out litter picking as a Brownie. It is great to get them involved, as it leads to more respect for the location and hopefully less littering and vandalism in future years.
    Diolch yn fawr to Wrexham Town Forum for organising this!

KidA
    Participant

Don’t particularly agree with dylan’s points but it does highlight the fact that some businesses need to take more responsibility in keeping their vicinity clean, especially the fast food outlets. They may pay rates but this doesn’t directly pay for street cleaning.

AKS
    Participant

As you walk around town you see a lot of circus, stunt show etc. posters plastered over empty shops, walls, windows etc. should these shows take them down and clean up after they have left? or should the council send them the bill for cleaning and taking down their posters (they know who they are as it on the poster)?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News

Prioritise support over punishment for young vapers, says Public Health Wales

News

New video shows Wrexham AFC chairman “Baseball-izing” Football Game ahead of MLB World Tour

News