Wrexham Receives Over £10Million In Regeneration Grant

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Receives Over £10Million In Regeneration Grant

• Author

johnhoppy
    Participant

There seems to be plenty of destructive comments on here and not many constructive ones. This is not the place for personal insults.

Back to the topic of the post, there seems to be plenty of money around for ringfenced projects, whilst public assets are being neglected and/or closed through lack of funding. Is this method of funding a way for the Government in Cardiff to spend money as they see fit and not allow local councils to spend money as they please?

DR
    Participant

This topic generated a fair bit of discussion on our Facebook page. The majority of people who commented said they would like to see potholes in Wrexham sorted out!

jimbow
    Participant

@johnhoppy 11477 wrote:

Is this method of funding a way for the Government in Cardiff to spend money as they see fit and not allow local councils to spend money as they please?

I believe that money should not be ring fenced.Each town or city have their different problems,best sorted by their local council.You only have to look at the £350k spent on parking signs.Given £350k I am sure WCBC would never have spent it on parking signs.I hope not ?

BenjaminM
    Participant

@NJones 11475 wrote:

WTF does that mean?

It means, purely and simply that virtually every comment about WCBC that you make, is in the negative without (by your own a mission), reading the information that has been released on the matter.
    You have quite eloquently demonstrated your opposition to the possibility of redeveloping the Waterworld site but your attempt to link that to the £10 million regeneration grant is frankly tenuous to say the least.
    I am totally in favour of anyone expressing an opinion, but at the very least it is reasonable to expect that opinion to be based on a modicum of fact, not pure conjecture.
    It is quite clear that you have a dislike of WCBC but the attempt to blame that entity on everything from pestilence to flood is neither reasonable or helpful (unless of course you have the wherewithal to back up your assertions).
    THAT is the reason I chose the wording I used.

NJones
    Participant

@BenjaminM 11480 wrote:

It means, purely and simply that virtually every comment about WCBC that you make, is in the negative without (by your own a mission), reading the information that has been released on the matter.
    You have quite eloquently demonstrated your opposition to the possibility of redeveloping the Waterworld site but your attempt to link that to the £10 million regeneration grant is frankly tenuous to say the least.
    I am totally in favour of anyone expressing an opinion, but at the very least it is reasonable to expect that opinion to be based on a modicum of fact, not pure conjecture.
    It is quite clear that you have a dislike of WCBC but the attempt to blame that entity on everything from pestilence to flood is neither reasonable or helpful (unless of course you have the wherewithal to back up your assertions).
    THAT is the reason I chose the wording I used.

I do have evidence of WCBC to blame for pestilence and flood

macdownes
    Participant

£10 million is a drop in the ocean. Its about time the welsh government realised the north exists. When you come out of Cardiff and go up the heads of the valley roads life exists after Merthyr! Not just were those marvellous dual carriage ways end!! We need the welsh development grants back! After losing them years back we have seen Fibreglass,Tetrapack , part of BICC and Kelloggs disappear! These are the blue chip companies and major employers that keep the smaller firms on the industrial estate. Not enough being done for North East wales!!

wxm
    Participant

While grants are all part of the economic mix, they cannot replace a proper free trade competitive economy. Wrexham needs to face the fact that it must have an attractive proposition for industry and business if it is to secure valuable well paid jobs. A good start would be the transparent publishing every month of the economic output of Wrexham, and the trends of jobs and earnings.

Adam
    Participant

@wxm 11493 wrote:

A good start would be the transparent publishing every month of the economic output of Wrexham, and the trends of jobs and earnings.

That data is already out there.. it’s called Mosaic by Experian.

It’s why we’re never likely to see high end outlets (John Lewis, Waitrose etc)…
    It’s why we do have a multitude of low end outlets (Poundland etc)…
    It’s why certain political parties wouldnt bother campaigning around an election..

It’s also why you’ll find slightly different produce on offer for example in Wrexham’s Tesco branch compared to Broughton..

Powerful stuff.

You can get their free app on Itunes, type in your postcode and see how you have been labeled…. The map of Wrexham is interesting too…

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/mosaic-uk/id410298816?mt=8

wxm
    Participant

Interesting! But how do we create the industrial environment in Wrexham that provides long term well paid jobs.

The ONS (Office of National Statistics) publishes information on employment, earnings, and the value we create in the economy (GVA, Gross Value Added). The performance of Wrexham is not as good as adjoining areas, and although some good work may be done, we have lost 1000 jobs recently, but more importantly the vision and intentions set out for employment levels on Wrexham Industrial Estate for example, have not been achieved. These things have been achieved in other areas though.

https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/english/council/documents/council_plan/economy.htm

Economic plans perform and develop outputs over decades. What has happened over the last 20 to 30 years, and what should happen for the next 10 and 20. We should be measuring progress throughout the year. Current outputs cannot be satisfactory, and do not bode well for the future.

Ferret
    Participant

@NJones 11447 wrote:

So, is this the money they are going to waste on knocking down perfectly useful leisure centres and building one new one?

No, it’s not

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham Council set to decide on 20mph ‘adjustments’ which ‘begin from September’

News

Wales’ fire authorities lack accountability amid harassment allegations, Senedd hears

News

Closure plan for Welshpool and Caernarfon Air Ambulance bases confirmed – with new base planned for ‘middle of North Wales’

News

Trading Standards warning over Facebook user “fraudulently advertising events locally”

News

The Ultimate Guide to Nickelodeon Resort Punta Cana

News

The Essential Guide to User Acceptance Testing (UAT)

News