Wrexham Receives Over £10Million In Regeneration Grant

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Receives Over £10Million In Regeneration Grant

• Author

NJones
    Participant

So, is this the money they are going to waste on knocking down perfectly useful leisure centres and building one new one?

BenjaminM
    Participant

Obviously, once again, you have misrepresented the text of the press statement to further your personal crusade against the replacement of buildings that have outlived their usefulness.
    The main aim of the grant is to provide affordable housing, jobs and regeneration of the town so how to do manage to take a quantum leap to make such a tangential assumption?
    Read the text!
    I have noticed on numerous occasions that some people don’t read what is said in posts or statements, but what they think it should say.
    It would be of great interest if you could illustrate how you have arrived at such a conclusion. Frankly, I am at a loss to make any meaningful connection.

Alunh
    Participant

In terms of the current system, the Council appear to have obtained a good result and I hope that they will use it wisely.

That said, I dislike a system that uses Business rates and Corporation tax to fill the central coffers and then parcels the funds back out for Councils to use for public advantage. I would rather see my rates reduced or abolished and JCB’s Corporation tax the same. Most businesses will wisely use the funds to achieve the same objectives as the recycled cash and, if they don’t (and dividend it), they will have to stump up on the Income tax front

NJones
    Participant

@BenjaminM 11448 wrote:

Obviously, once again, you have misrepresented the text of the press statement to further your personal crusade against the replacement of buildings that have outlived their usefulness.
    The main aim of the grant is to provide affordable housing, jobs and regeneration of the town so how to do manage to take a quantum leap to make such a tangential assumption?
    Read the text!
    I have noticed on numerous occasions that some people don’t read what is said in posts or statements, but what they think it should say.
    It would be of great interest if you could illustrate how you have arrived at such a conclusion. Frankly, I am at a loss to make any meaningful connection.

Simple, can’t be a*sed reading the full text, like your post, as WCBC don’t usually stick to anything they say!

jimbow
    Participant

It is a good result for the Council in obtaining this grant.What I would like to see is the original application and breakdown of the money and projects that the Council applied for.Maybe then an individual would be able to make a more constructive comment on whether the money will be spent wisely on any particular project.

Adam
    Participant

Not sure I follow the ‘matched funding’ statement… even if all of the £10m was used to build 326 houses, that’s only £30k each. Does that not suggest that the vast majority of the housing costs will be funded by private building companies? And if so, what incentivised them to suddenly fund a major housing project???

There also seems to be a running theme over the past few months of providing residential units in the town centre… almost as if all of the the centre’s problems are completely inevitable but if more people live in and around the centre there will be an overnight switch to a continental style cafe/bar culture… Hmmm.

BenjaminM
    Participant

@NJones 11450 wrote:

Simple, can’t be a*sed reading the full text, like your post, as WCBC don’t usually stick to anything they say!

So another off the top of your head comment that has no basis or foundation in fact.
    Just another excuse for spouting forth unadulterated bigotry.

Rob
    Participant

@Adam 11453 wrote:

There also seems to be a running theme over the past few months of providing residential units in the town centre… almost as if all of the the centre’s problems are completely inevitable but if more people live in and around the centre there will be an overnight switch to a continental style cafe/bar culture… Hmmm.

I think there is going to a change in terms of how developments occur with less office and shop space and more residential. Long term changes like that will change the feel / face of the town.

Iceman
    Participant

@BenjaminM 11455 wrote:

So another off the top of your head comment that has no basis or foundation in fact.

“Spouting bigotry”? That’s rich coming from somebody who is anti-welsh language.

NJones
    Participant

@BenjaminM 11455 wrote:

WTF does that mean?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

New video shows Wrexham AFC chairman “Baseball-izing” Football Game ahead of MLB World Tour

News

Police appeal after “considerable amount of damage” at local primary school

News

A view from Sam Rowlands – Welsh Conservative North Wales Member of the Senedd

News

“It is not for local authorities to fund local or national print media”, says Senedd committee

News

Over 6,000 illegal vapes seized in Wrexham in Trading Standards crackdown

News

Former First Minister Mark Drakeford honoured as one of the “Covid heroes”

News