Wrexham prison….

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham prison….

• Author

weasel
    Participant

So…The New Prison is acceptable…as it’s gonna bring much needed jobs to Wrexham ?????…I think NOT….It seems to be being built by….Guess What ???…Yes…Once again…Illegal Immigrants…Huh…What a surprise !!!

Council Watcher
    Participant

I think the debate is going to be which of the contractors is responsible for employing the ‘illegals’. The original contract for contractors was 50 miles but had to be expand to 70 miles due to insufficient work force. This certainly is not a case of ‘illegals’ taking work from local people.
    Also was this a spot check carried out by the Immigration Authorities or a ‘tip off’.
    Weasal you refer to ‘once again’ — is this a reference to Wrexham – if so there has probably only been a handful of cases over the past 3/4 years – mainly food and restaurant business. Are you aware of others?

zinger
    Participant

Never the less – the operative phrase was “much needed jobs for Wrexham”. How is a radius of 70 or even 50 miles bringing jobs to Wrexham? Apart from druggies, motorists & arsonists, which we aren’t short of, we probably will be importing a lot of criminals to the prison.

steveg
    Participant

Oh well. If a immigrant can come here with no money, no hope, no language and no education and pinches your job, then you must be crap at what you do.

zinger
    Participant

And no National Insurance. It is surprising how many building sites around the country employ people who don’t speak English. Try making deliveries to them. Now why would they do that I wonder?

JaneJ
    Participant

Zinger – your statement seems to imply anyone not speaking English is possibly an illegal worker- this is stretching reality significantly. No doubt on the prison build site there are lots of workers who do not have English as a first language but they still are legally entitled to work in Wrexham.
    I don’t condone anyone working illegally whether on a building site or fiddling the books they should be dealt with appropriately by the law and courts but don’t use language as the benchmark.

zinger
    Participant

The headline reads “Immigration Raid On HMP Berwyn Construction Site ‘Finds Illegal Workers”. My first sentence a continuance of Steveveg ‘s comment of “no money, no hope, no language and no education”, the second sentence was a statement of fact and the last sentence was a question. I take exception to the phrase “much needed jobs to Wrexham” when it was obvious that that was not going to happen. I would like to have a break down of figures of local ’10 mile radius’ of Wrexham people employed.

Rex Ham
    Participant

Zinger, you have made me laugh! Your comment reads ” we probably will be importing a lot of criminals to the prison.” I rather think that is the reason for having a prison in the first place!

Being serious for a mo, we are only talking about construction jobs here. There will be many opportunities for Wrexham people to gain longer term employment when the construction is finished.

BenjaminM
    Participant

From the outset, I do not agree with employing illegal workers in any way, shape or form. That said, a convenient omission in zinger’s riposte to steveg’s last 9 words may be quite telling.
    Has he ever stopped to consider whether ‘local’ firms put in a bid for some of the sub contracting jobs, if so, we’re they competitive or indeed whether local labour ie. within the local catchment area, possess the necessary skill sets for the construction phase of the prison?
    Furthermore, is he willing to condemn equally, the people from Wrexham and its’ environs who commute to Liverpool, Manchester and further afield for taking the jobs of locals within those areas? Don’the people in those areas have the same right to be affronted?

We do not live in an age where place of abode is the main factor in securing employment, we live in an age where people are willing to travel to secure meaningful employment.

dewi73
    Participant

[quote quote=112032]Being serious for a mo, we are only talking about construction jobs here. There will be many opportunities for Wrexham people to gain longer term employment when the construction is finished.[/quote]

‘Only’ construction jobs? One of the best arguments for building the prison was so that local companies could try and get a share of the £250M on offer.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News