Wrexham Parliamentary Election on the 7th May

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Parliamentary Election on the 7th May

• Author

BenjaminM
    Participant

If your assertion is correct MJN, could you please let me know why, if an Independent is truly Independent, why it is considered necessary or appropriate to form an Independent group? Once again, I cite WCBC as a classic example.
    No one can categorically tell me that the Labour defectors suddenly had an ideological sea change because they chose another title, or similarly, how a Councillor elected under the Independent banner suddenly declares himself to be a Plaid Cymru Councillor.
    And yes, I do stand by my original statement which you picked up on.

MJN
    Participant

Well, I am talking generally and not singling out any particular individual or group for praise or spite.

Several true independants can form an alliance of course, but the ex-Labour councillors calling themselves a group of Indpendants was silly at best. I also agree a politician who changes a political party should stand for re-election on his new platform in a by-election. Certainly one who jumps from one affiliation to another should be treated with some scepticism.

But I also stand by what I posted: not all independants are spiteful malcontents or political extremists ejected from their previous party. And the only wasted vote is the one not cast.

Jimmy Two-Times
    Participant

@PhilWynn 19810 wrote:

Dear fellow wxm.com contributors

I wish to announce my decision to stand as an Independent candidate, in the forthcoming election for the parliamentary seat of my home-town of Wrexham.

I have decided to use wrexham.com as the vehicle to make this announcement, as we are all fortunate to have use of this freely supplied facility, which allows us all to debate what goes on in our town of Wrexham.

Further information about my candidacy will follow soon. Rest assured I am very much looking forward to convincing the Wrexham electorate that in me they will have an honest, decent and hard-working Member of Parliament. I will put the interests of all UK and Wrexham citizens first, without due influence of third parties such as Trade Unions or wealthy businessmen.

This contest promises to be a David and Goliath battle, but one I am relishing all the same.

I believe the mood of Wrexham folk, like in many other towns, is being shaped by our shared disillusionment in the main UK political parties and their ways of working. It is they who have let our proud nation down and it is now “Time for a Change”.

My message whilst one of optimism, will not hold back from tackling head on those issues which the main political parties wish to see imposed on Wrexham and in so doing will see us sold down the Gwenfro.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish all candidates well in their campaigns and for keeping Democracy Alive.

Phil Wynn
    Prospective Parliamentary Candidate for the
    Wrexham constituency

Dear Mr. Wynn,

Could you answer the following questions please?

Why did the Liberal Democrats boot you out of the party on WCBC?

What was your relationship with Geoff Moss when he nearly killed Wrexham FC and refused to pay their bills?

What was your involvement in the Alan Bermingham bid for Wrexham FC?

Why did you support Stephanie Booth in her bid for Wrexham FC while her businesses were on the brink of going bust knowing that it would gazump the bid from the Wrexham Supporters’ Trust?

Why did you say that the Wrexham Supporters’ Trust would kill the club?

I look forward to your answers.

Andrewmackembailey
    Participant

@Chris 19950 wrote:

I’m guessing if you are truly independent then every vote is a free vote. No disaplnery action for not towing the party line. Also with the predicted hung parliament the independents could end up quite powerful

You would think so Chris- rarely happens so you have the bizarre spectacle of ex labour and trade union supporters voting to diminish an independent appeals process to stay in with their new buddies!

Peterthewatcher
    Participant

Andrew yiu make a very valued point and just gives to show how Councilors (some) can so easily change the colour of the spots they were born with. It also now looks like we have got to put up with the current motley group of Councilors until 2018 as it appears Local Government elections are going to move for 12 months to enable boundary reorganisation.

PhilWynn
    Participant

@Jimmy Two-Times 19969 wrote:

Dear Mr. Wynn,

Could you answer the following questions please?

Why did the Liberal Democrats boot you out of the party on WCBC?

What was your relationship with Geoff Moss when he nearly killed Wrexham FC and refused to pay their bills?

What was your involvement in the Alan Bermingham bid for Wrexham FC?

Why did you support Stephanie Booth in her bid for Wrexham FC while her businesses were on the brink of going bust knowing that it would gazump the bid from the Wrexham Supporters’ Trust?

Why did you say that the Wrexham Supporters’ Trust would kill the club?

I look forward to your answers.

More than happy to answer your questions.

I was never booted out of the Lib Dems as you have insinuated. I chose to cancel my membership of the party Having become switched off by national political parties. I continued as a member of the ruling Lib Dem/independent group to ensure political stability at the Guldhall and to guarantee Cllr Joan Lowe’s position as a Lead Member. As soon as it was clear that Cllr Lowe was leaving the Lib Dem group my obligation was broken, freeing me to become a non-alligned member.

My relationship with Geoff Moss has always been cordial, especially during 2011 when he announced he wanted out. It should not be forgotten that he owns the land to the rear of the Kop; As such he needs to be kept on side if we are to secure a new Kop, which may otherwise become land-locked.Some fans may still wish to continue their private agendas against the man but cutting off your nose ….comes to mind.

I had the pleasure of meeting with Alan Bermingham the once, at a home game in the Bamford suite. It was in full view of a number of the WST board members, so no cloak and dagger story for you to worry about.

For the record my discussions with Stephanie Booth were always relaid back to the then chair of the WST. Having placed her on the spot to come up with £50k, to help bank-roll the club, along with a few other businessmen/fans I wished her well with her continued discussions with the WST and walked away from further dialogue. The rest is history and my instinct was proven right.

I should of rumbled her sooner, as at the meeting she convened at the Bryn Howel,they didn’t even have a straw for my friend Len Willett to use. Cash-flow issues I guess.

If I did say the WST will kill off my Club then I ought to of made myself better understood The WST is a legal entity made up of its members, who are all fans, so it would be counter intuitive for what I said to be taken literally. I am willing to apologise for any offence I may have caused but please accept I was under immense pressure at the time, as the future of our club looked like it was fading away.

For me the real threat to our Club’s future at the time, which your quote truly refers to, was the attitude of the then parachuted in Chairman, whom to my knowledge was never voted in by the members. His arrogance was there to be seen and he didn’t hang around too long. I wonder why? Maybe you could share your own thoughts on this.

For me his attitude on the Bond Day was one of gleeful anticipation of failure. How wrong could he be. On the day he even refused to put a couple of quid in the bucket collection. On the eve of the Bond Day I asked if he would personally endorse the last throw of the dice to see our club saved. His response was his money was committed to the Escrew Account.

I haven’t missed too many games since that day. I wonder if Richard Green can say the same.

I hope this has put your mind at rest. If you’re a retired Jimmy then I guess nothing will.

Phil Wynn

Peterthewatcher
    Participant

Dont forget there is a deadline date a week on Monday which after this date will forbid existing MPs to engage fully with Civil Servants or appear as an MP as Parliament will be dissolved and the 6 week perda period commences.

zinger
    Participant

Whoops, I am glad that I said ‘not all’.

jimbow
    Participant

I too find it hard to follow the political set ups. I am just glad that as a Galvanised Methodist, our party are not putting up a candidate.

johnhoppy
    Participant

This is why so few people bother to vote. The system is stitched up by people no-one has elected. The real decisions are made behind closed doors long before any discussions are made publicly.

Many politicians have no idea what it is like to to earn a living in the real world. They progress from education to researcher to councillor to MP without knowing what service to the public actually means.

Roll on the day when we have ‘None of the above’ on out ballot papers, and if that gains the most votes there will be one less representative.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Opportunity knocks for Wrexham brewery at major trade show

News

Man taken to hospital after incident at Brymbo property

News

Wrexham shoplifter jailed after city centre offences

News

Wrexham to take on Vancouver White Caps in ‘Wrex Coast Tour’

News

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News