Wrexham MP votes…

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham MP votes…

• Author

Llayby lilly
    Participant

Does anyone else feel that our Wrexham MP Ian Lucas is undermining the wishes of the majority of Wrexham people who voted to leave the EU…? I thought his parliamentary job was to garner the opinions and wishes of his electorate and to enact them in the Commons?

I voted to remain as it happens, but I recognise I was on the losing side. Shame Ian Lucas doesn’t feel the same.

Any thoughts..?

Councillor X
    Participant

The Politicians are going against the wishes of the people and with Wrexham voting OUT, Ian should respect that.

The Hoo-har is meant to stop the UK exiting ….

If Wrexham lost a football match, could the manager object and have the match replayed again?

TimRegency
    Participant

How? By voting against May’s clown car crash of a deal?

janeywxm
    Participant

He is not taking into consideration what the majority of Wrexham voted for. I’m pretty sure all this mess is being cleverly constructed to make sure we never Brexit!

If the result had been to stay the remainers would have been up in arms if those wanting Brexit had asked for another vote!

Just leave and get on with it!

Janey

Matt
    Participant

In the full article Lucas states that he is voting against Theresa May’s current ‘Terrible’ Brexit deal. He’s not actually voting against Brexit itself.

Wrexham MP to vote against “terrible” Brexit deal tonight – stating it will have “dire consequences for people”

He has stated that

“I do believe that a separate Brexit deal is possible – one which gives us a close future relationship with the EU and keeps us in a customs union during the transition period – and I feel such an agreement would have broad support on both sides of the House. Time will tell.”

I’m not sure how people can explain how he is voting against the best interests of Wrexham Leave voters when Jacob Rees-Mogg and his ERG who want a Hard Brexit are also voting against this deal as well.

In terms of his parliamentary job of garnering the opinions and wishes of his electorate and to enact them in the Commons? The referendum question was do you want to remain in the EU or leave EU – it did not poll constituents on the type of Brexit they wanted. So it’s impossible to know who wants what. Perhaps some hard leavers who follow the cult of Rees-Mogg are glad he’s voting against the deal so they can get a no deal Brexit. So therefore some people will be unhappy and others won’t.

Brexit, the topic where you’re guaranteed that many people will be unhappy about different things.

Councillor X
    Participant

Matt, my feelings are that a vote against the terrible deal is a vote to stop Brexit.

I don’t agree with the ‘deal’ but I don’t see another option on the table that will allow Brexit to happen. The MPs want us to stay and stay we shall.

I voted Remain!
    Not for political reasons but because my first wife moved to Spain and I want her to stay there.

Matt
    Participant

I actually do believe that at heart there are those like Ian who has always made no bones about his Remain stance but has since had to reign it in. Primarily to keep both Labour Lexit Leaver voters happy as well as the local Corbynistas who he completely alienated directly after the Brexit vote. So his agenda is probably that he hopes it will stop Brexit along with quite a few MPS voting against.

What’s most interesting is that only Theresa May herself has been repeatedly threatening that Brexit won’t happen at all. She campaigned for Remain before the vote. She is also pivotal in the actual frustration of enacting any kind of Brexit whatsoever.

Had she not called that Botched 2017 election where she threw away a working Goverent majority and now has to rely on those con artists the DUP whose support has now evaporated – she’d have got Brexit legislation pushed through Parliament easily and probably months ago – with all the transitional arrangements and trade deals on the way. But instead, just over 2 months before the Brexit date we are in this shambolic mess.

If voting this deal through is the only way for Brexit to happen you have to wonder why Rees Mogg and the ERG group are voting against it so fiercely? If they want Brexit over hell or high water surely they should just vote it through, then vote May out, replace her with a more hardline Brexiteer and then sabotage the deal internally and force no deal. Makes you wonder what they know that we don’t and what their game plan is?

Lucas and Labour’s goal is to see the government fail and hopefully push for a general election – which is the main purpose of the opposition party – try and get a chance to govern. I’d say judge them on their Brexit intentions if an election comes as they’ll have to make it crystal clear this time in the manifesto.

From the Tory side, you have to wonder who is running the show and how many different layers of deception are going on behind the scenes. They feel like 2 different parties at the moment. What is certain is they have broken their promises on a strong and stable Government and a smooth and orderly Brexit.

Llayby lilly
    Participant

Matt, I think Lucas is being disingenuous when he makes reference to ‘this brexit deal’. There is NO brexit deal he would vote for at all. If he can not take forward the wishes of the Wrexham electorate he should do the honourable thing and resign. But as he doesn’t have an honourable bone in his body, then were stuck with him.

As for the EU referendum question, I though it was quite self explanatory. The option was to remain or leave. Not leave but like this, or Leave but still chained to this institution. If the people of the UK voted leave then leave it should be.

I believe the negotiations with the EU would have gone much better, with a better outcome if MP’s like Lucas put their own personal opinions to the side and supported the leave agenda, instead MP’s like him have sought to undermine the government at every opportunity and in turn he has undermined the people of Wrexham.

Matt
    Participant

I think what people need to ask is who or what is looking out for Wales in this Brexit deal? Wales is not even mentioned in the Withdrawal Agreement. There is no guarantee of replacement funding to replace European funding that Wrexham has benefited from many times.

There is no-one in Government who is really looking out for Wales’ interests and the WAG is not powerful enough to have any serious clout about what goes on. Mark Drakeford is too busy finding his feet as First Minister to really be getting involved in anything.

Scotland has got an out if things go belly up post-Brexit by throwing up another Indy Ref and going independent and Northern Ireland ultimately can re-unify with Republic of Ireland if things become drastically bad there (unlikely in light of the Troubles but it’s still there). All NI born British Nationals also have access to Irish passports so they will still retain Freedom of Movement no matter what.

This leaves us Welsh in last place as usual – stuck with whatever the English lump on us. Somewhere along the line we need to grow a backbone and make it clear we are a country in our own right (not meaning independence but meaning having some kind of influence) and not just another English county with more sheep and mountains than most.

MP1953
    Participant

Leave means leave that’s what I voted for, there was no mention of any deal on the ballot paper..

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Works on New Broughton housing development set to begin in spring

News

North Wales chief constable backs new Police Anti-Corruption and Abuse Reporting Service

News

Welsh gaming professionals flying the flag at “instrumental” US conference

News

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News

Updated: Firefighters called to incident at Bryn Lane recycling centre

News

Wrexham Council first in north Wales to install men’s sanitary bins in public toilets

News