Wrexham Memorial Hall set to go!!

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Memorial Hall set to go!!

• Author

99DylanJones
    Participant

In a report going to the Council Executive on Tuesday it appears that the Wrexham Memorial Hall is now up for development as a housing plot and opportunity site-
    http://moderngov.wrexham.gov.uk/documents/g3003/Public%20reports%20pack%2012th-Apr-2016%2010.00%20Executive%20Board.pdf?T=10&LLL=undefined

This is yet another iconic building that it looks like the Council want to flatten- this is a building built by public subscription and surely belongs to the people and not the Council. Does anyone know who owns this building?

wrexview
    Participant

The link takes you to over 246 pages, can you give a page number or agenda item number please.

Sheefag
    Participant

Wrexview, windows has a rather useful search facility built in that allows you to search within things like the PDF linked to, word documents, web pages etc.
    If you press and hold the control key on your keyboard (ctrl) and then press the ‘F’ key, it will bring up a search bar at the bottom of the page. Enter your search word or term and press enter repeatedly to search the entire document or webpage.

That said, using the search facility within this document, the only relevant reference that I can find for the Memorial hall (Page 90 of 246 pages) does not at all state that it is up for development.
    I think Dylan may be jumping the gun here, entirely understandable though, given Wrexham Council’s historic disregard for residents views and and the town’s architctural heritage.

[quote]Memorial Hall; While the hall could be considered as part of a wider re–generation scheme, the hall is home to war memorials, regeneration would need to be sensitive and there has been nodecision to include this site as part of the wider regeneration scheme[/quote]

BenjaminM
    Participant

[quote

This is yet another iconic building that it looks like the Council want to flatten- this is a building built by public subscription and surely belongs to the people and not the Council. Does anyone know who owns this building?

[/quote]

I have learned over time, to treat many of Dylan’s posts with scepticism. Frequently, they are inaccurate or at best, misleading. This post is no exception.

In the document referred to, Bodhyfryd AREA is indicated as a location for potential mixed usage development (see figure 12 of the document). I repeat, AREA.

Further into the document, the proposals for Bodhyfryd are expanded and explained in greater detail. The area to which the proposals relate are illustrated on a plan (see figure 17 page 92) when it is clearly demonstrated that the Memorial Hall is SPECIFICALLY excluded from the proposal.

Mischief making or inability to absorb salient facts?

BenjaminM
    Participant

Not too difficult Wrexview. The agenda item is on page 1 of the link which then refers to the pages relevant to the agenda item!

wrexview
    Participant

Many thanks to everyone for you help . Looks like they are testing the water with their “no decision” comment. They need to remember the building was funded by public subscriptions and placed in the hands of the Council as responsible custodians.

R T
    Keymaster

“The Masterplan shows the Cenotaph and Memorial Hall in the middle of the Bodhyfryd development site where a mix of housing and retail could be built, and we asked Cllr Neil Rogers if any decisions had been taken over their future, and if consideration had been made to move them elsewhere.

Cllr Rogers did not give a definitive yes or no answer, but echoed the words in the Masterplan itself saying their importance was ‘made quite clear in the early member workshops’ and their ‘significant importance for Wrexham’ was clear.

The Masterplan itself says: “While the hall could be considered as part of a wider re-generation scheme, the hall is home to war memorials, regeneration would need to be sensitive and there has been no decision to include this site as part of the wider regeneration scheme.””

‘Masterplan’ Which Will Shape & Transform Town Centre Set For Approval

Sheefag
    Participant

Er… Rob…. that’s what I said old son.

99DylanJones
    Participant

Sorry but with the Council grabbing everything they can I don’t put is past them to dispose of the Memorial Hall – if not surly a development around the main hall and exhibition space would have been better than the ‘multi storey car park and Peoples Market’. The ‘behind closed door’ decision to not progress the Memorial Hall site surely implies that they (the Council) are already giving serious consideration to the disposal.

Benjamin perhaps rather than being sceptical about some of my posts perhaps following most through will show that the original threads I have contributed to have come to fruition in some form.

R T
    Keymaster

[quote quote=111423]Er… Rob…. that’s what I said old son.

[/quote]

Just added in the bit from Cllr Neil Rogers, as it would be easy to say ‘it is 100% certainly staying’ and knock it on the head.

Its been on the cards before:

FOI Raises Questions Over Future Of Memorial Hall

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News