Wrexham Markets Scrutiny Committee on Weds + Council Report

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Markets Scrutiny Committee on Weds + Council Report

• Author

jimbow
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 3553 wrote:

When was the last time the F&Fs & Es were invested in? Assuming that building work is depreciated over 25 years. I would expect that fixtures & fittings and equipment are either over 5 or ten years, so the stalls and F&F should be paid for and ready for new investment… Feeding time for the golden goose so to speak.

With regard to fixtures and fittings and equipment being written down over a period of 5 to 10 years. I was a stallholder in the market for 17 years.In around 2007 the Council invested in a scrubber(the type of machine that cleans floors) at a cost of £10,000.This was recharged to stallholders through the Service Charge in one go,the Commercial Estates Manager at that time refused to recharge the cost to stallholders over a period of years.

Rob
    Participant

@wrexview 3514 wrote:

For those who have not read the report all the way through , the town’s indoor markets are NOT under threat.

After a local headline in the Leader we asked the council if the markets were under threat of closure in anyway, they replied saying:

“The report states that the markets should be retained…. and improved physically and cosmetically through a programme of investment to be discussed with traders.

4.22 The People’s Market is the Council’s biggest retail asset by far. It is also the least attractive of the three indoor markets, with its concrete construction, poor lighting and exposed duct work. In addition, as a result of changes in footfall patterns within the town centre generally, and the closure of TJ Hughes, It is now situated in a location in the town that is remote from the main shopping streets.

4.23 A section of the market hall could be closed and a new use introduced. One option would be retail – divide up the space and create some new shop units. Another option is relocate a Council service into this space.

4.24 Potentially, the above can be structured at either little or no cost to the Council. Either end user occupiers or a developer would commit to an agreement for a number of years and in theory this agreement over time would result in a cost recovery.

4.25 However, there are factors against this option. Firstly, in the current economic climate attracting occupiers and developers might be problematic; secondly, this option would result in the market being smaller and therefore less of an attraction in its own right. In addition, once a proportion of the market hall is reduced it will be lost permanently. In terms job creation, Shops would create fewer jobs than if the building is kept as a markets hall. Finally, this option would actually further restrict the levels of natural light into the market hall.

4.26 The recommendation therefore, is to retain the three existing markets. However, the next options are to consider the levels of investment and improvement necessary to achieve a viable and confident future.”

The red highlighting was by the council.

Alunh
    Participant

The report is actually excellent and Peter Scott’s department have done logical and commendable work. Where the Leader got it all wrong was to make a big story out of red herring considerations (which the Council are obligated to do) which in turn were dismissed as being poor options.

The preferred options are as emphasised

thewayneinspain
    Participant

Have to say over the football club I haven’t always seen eye to eye with cllr phil wynn (and he’d agree with me) but on the subject of other council matters, phil, of late, has been up there with the best.

Personally, I thought the content in the report to be lacking and if i had submitted that to a client, there is no way I would have got away with it.

nevertheless, I’m happy the council has said (in words for now) but hopefully actions soon that it’s going to support the markets.

wrexview
    Participant

Good write up about last nights’s meeting ,for once it looks like everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet. What a huge difference can be made when the Council and businesses work together. Wrexham is a market town and we should be proud of that. Markets are here to stay but they will have to evolve to suit the modern shopping environment and the desire for niche, local and bespoke products among the everyday staples.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

I am guilty of over looking this part of the town. I will from now on make the effort to visit once a week in my lunch break. What stalls in which market can anyone recommend?

Annabelle
    Participant

The Country Market stall trades on Fridays only, in the Peoples’ Market. We are a co-operative of local producers; selling genuinely home-baked goods, jams and chutneys; plus a wide selection of crafts and plants. You may also buy local honey, eggs, fruit and vegetables direct from the producers, as all items sold through Country Markets must be home-made, home-grown or hand-crafted in their own homes by the Members themselves.

Customers may order items, or have products made to their own requirements (order now for next Christmas!). People who are working on a Friday may find it more convenient to visit our market in Rossett, which is held on the first Saturday of very month. If you are interested in joining the market as a producer, then look at our website: Home Page – – Country Markets Ltd or come and visit us on a Friday and share your ideas.

I should add, that the council is right to address the issue of the markets, but before investing too much (of our money) it is urgent that a new use is found for the TJ Hughes store, as this was the main link from ‘the town’ to the Peoples’ Market for shoppers.

Lastly, thanks to Wrexview for the glowing praise; it is true that the early bird gets the worm!!! – but, the later bird may have put an order in, and had a lie-in too!!!

wxm
    Participant

It seems we always talk about the council. Why don’t we take them out of the frame, and create a “Stall Holders Mutual” so that they can plough the surpluses back in to promoting the markets, and providing better services. It would take a few years for the market to regain the reputation they use to have, but instead of paying the council to debate a 3 year plan, traders could get on and do it!

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    wxm;4130 wrote:
    It seems we always talk about the council. Why don’t we take them out of the frame, and create a “Stall Holders Mutual” so that they can plough the surpluses back in to promoting the markets, and providing better services. It would take a few years for the market to regain the reputation they use to have, but instead of paying the council to debate a 3 year plan, traders could get on and do it!

Wow this sounds like alex hamilton during the his attempt at the killing the football club. How much would it cost for a stall holders mutual to purchase the markets?

wxm
    Participant

It wouldn’t cost anything. A mutual of stall holders rents it. And then uses the surplus (currently a couple of hundred thousand a year) to reinvest in the success of the markets. As it grows, the businesses get more to reinvest, the success drives more business, and the ratepayers get rates from 100% occupancy, we get the goods we need at the prices we like to pay, and our friends and neighbours get employed.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham Council set to decide on 20mph ‘adjustments’ which ‘begin from September’

News

Wales’ fire authorities lack accountability amid harassment allegations, Senedd hears

News

Closure plan for Welshpool and Caernarfon Air Ambulance bases confirmed – with new base planned for ‘middle of North Wales’

News

Trading Standards warning over Facebook user “fraudulently advertising events locally”

News

The Ultimate Guide to Nickelodeon Resort Punta Cana

News

The Essential Guide to User Acceptance Testing (UAT)

News