Wrexham Library

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Library

• Author

zinger
    Participant

We could do with a few real old fashioned bobbies on the beat. I can’t remember when I last saw a normal everyday policeman in town. As a child I was always told that if I got lost or something frightened me to ask a policeman. You recognised them because they wore a bobbies helmet & were quite tall.

wxm
    Participant

I appreciate my post about values was a bit theoretical, and I agree a security guard would be a good idea to sort the problem out short term. But if we don’t face the root cause, the problem will get worse, cost more, and we’ll just push it around the town. Part of the solution is having part of the staff who are working who are confident to deal with some of this – all businesses have to deal with troubled customers, whether shops, pubs, events.

We should also rethink how we are using our police service. Society was built on a traditional policing model, and that investment led us to whom we are today. Intelligence led policing is clearly important, but the bedrock of our society, with policing understanding local communities and intervening early on, is one part of the solution to problems such as those we see at the Library.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    wxm;6717 wrote:
    I appreciate my post about values was a bit theoretical, and I agree a security guard would be a good idea to sort the problem out short term. But if we don’t face the root cause, the problem will get worse, cost more, and we’ll just push it around the town. Part of the solution is having part of the staff who are working who are confident to deal with some of this – all businesses have to deal with troubled customers, whether shops, pubs, events.

We should also rethink how we are using our police service. Society was built on a traditional policing model, and that investment led us to whom we are today. Intelligence led policing is clearly important, but the bedrock of our society, with policing understanding local communities and intervening early on, is one part of the solution to problems such as those we see at the Library.

what is the root cause or causes??

who should rethink the police service?

wxm
    Participant

We would have to list the root causes, central to those would be how people are gainfully employed, what values they live by, and what society has equipped them with through education and shared values.

Policing policy now comes from the Commissioner who sets priorities and budgets? And there is a statutory duty on the commissioners and local authority, to consult, and come up with a plan? All within the national framework of the Home Office? And of course, operational officers of all ranks. In these forums, the need and benefit of PCSO’s was challenged, and it was suggested that funds should be invested in police officers. If the area had a “beat bobby”, someone would have ownership from a policing perspective, and if repeat offending or trouble occurs, would engage with all parties at the root of the problem to get it resolved. That’s what a community police officer use to do?

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

When there were bobbies on the beat they were known by the local people. They also knew who the local trouble makers were. If I went home and told my parents that the local bobby had spoken to me they would want to know what I had done wrong. There seems to be a lack of deterrant today. Anti social behaviour seems to be accepted and if you object you learn a whole new vocabulary!

I wish there was a political party that stood up for decency and honesty. One that would stand up and say that ordinary people who obey the laws of the land have the right to go about their business unmolested.

The library is a public building but a certain minority are making it uncomfortable for the public to use. This to me is wrong and surely someone has the power to sort it out. If the problem moves on to somewhere else then the powers that be should follow them. Do this often enough and they will run out of places to go and maybe will move on or knuckle down and behave themselves.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    wxm;6722 wrote:
    We would have to list the root causes, central to those would be how people are gainfully employed, what values they live by, and what society has equipped them with through education and shared values.

Policing policy now comes from the Commissioner who sets priorities and budgets? And there is a statutory duty on the commissioners and local authority, to consult, and come up with a plan? All within the national framework of the Home Office? And of course, operational officers of all ranks. In these forums, the need and benefit of PCSO’s was challenged, and it was suggested that funds should be invested in police officers. If the area had a “beat bobby”, someone would have ownership from a policing perspective, and if repeat offending or trouble occurs, would engage with all parties at the root of the problem to get it resolved. That’s what a community police officer use to do?

Before you said “if we don’t face the root cause, the problem will get worse, cost more, and we’ll just push it around the town”, but now you don’t know what it is?

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Welsh Dresser;6725 wrote:
    When there were bobbies on the beat they were known by the local people. They also knew who the local trouble makers were. If I went home and told my parents that the local bobby had spoken to me they would want to know what I had done wrong. There seems to be a lack of deterrant today. Anti social behaviour seems to be accepted and if you object you learn a whole new vocabulary!

I wish there was a political party that stood up for decency and honesty. One that would stand up and say that ordinary people who obey the laws of the land have the right to go about their business unmolested.

The library is a public building but a certain minority are making it uncomfortable for the public to use. This to me is wrong and surely someone has the power to sort it out. If the problem moves on to somewhere else then the powers that be should follow them. Do this often enough and they will run out of places to go and maybe will move on or knuckle down and behave themselves.

agree with a lot of this.

there are bobbies around the library too…

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

The root cause seems to be the minorities total disregard for their surroundings or the public using them. They may well have personal problems but I bet they are receiving help with them. We house the homeless and provide care for those with addiction problems. It is too much to ask that they give something back and let others use the facilities in peace?

thewayneinspain
    Participant

I’d say the ones currently there are completely ignorant to the fact that they are a nuisance.

They are there because it a place to congregate for their next hit.

wxm
    Participant

We should agree what the root causes are. It starts with people not gainfully employed in things which bring benefit to themselves and/or society.

Whatever the reasons for people currently congregating, their behaviour, and alcohol or substance abuse; public services already have sufficient skills and capabilities to address these. The root cause comes from the home, the education people receive, and the standards we set as families, friends and as a community. As a society, we need to give people aspiration for the best in life, teach and coach children and young people as individuals, give them a great further education and jobs. When people abuse the property or rights of others, this is a contravention of basic parental coaching – we need as a society to support parental values & discipline, and when this isn’t working intervene through public services and wider community support without delay.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News