Wrexham Library

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Library

• Author

RhosdduCowboy
    Participant

After the two stories posted in this weeks Wrexham Leader about Wrexham Library being a haven for drug dealing, unsociable behaviour, rowdiness and staff abuse it would be interesting to see what others think. I tend to agree with the articles but how can you police an amenity open to the public?

johnhoppy
    Participant

The area should be policed as any other area. Antisocial and threatening behavior should not be tolerated in the library area. The police have enough resources to enforce speeding and other motoring offences, so they should find the resources to enforce matters which people actually care about, and feel threatened by. Everyone has a right to carry out their work without feeling insecure or threatened, and this includes library or other council staff.

wxm
    Participant

This is another key example, of the standard that we set as a whole community, and are prepared to accept as a whole community?

A library has always been known as a haven, a place to learn & study, a place to reflect? It is the duty of those employed to provide this service, and look after the facilities, to challenge anyone who interrupts the service & rights of the community and customers for whom the Wrexham Library is provided.

If this cannot be achieved by day to day staff, then they should be supported and augmented. If the police have to intervene, then society has failed in the first instance, by not promoting and living by the values we expect. This goes back to our homes, education, and whether we are gainfully employed.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

Employ a security guard to monitor the library and make it peaceful for everyone.

zinger
    Participant

@Welsh Dresser 6698 wrote:

Employ a security guard to monitor the library and make it peaceful for everyone.

I suspect that money would be an issue as it is everywhere else. We don’t want to give any more excuses than necessary for funding to be cut to the library. Does this sort of thing happen in other towns I wonder?

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Welsh Dresser;6698 wrote:

They employ one, sometimes two .

Half a dozen wouldn’t be enough to tackle them.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

Then I would employ the three strikes and your out principle. Three warnings then barred. Simple!

thewayneinspain
    Participant

I’d agree with that. The problem is that they congregate outside… and obviously the council prefer them to do that than near their own offices.

The police visit the area too.

I haven’t got a solution or a suggestion as they will congregate somewhere, so where do you put them, once you’ve barred from each part of town?

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

Give them a space of their own. There are plenty of empty shops around. Then try to educate them providing of course they want to be educated. They may respond and even if one or two do so it’s worth doing. Other than that I have no idea as if they are left wandering the streets they will be probably find mischief.

RhosdduCowboy
    Participant

I went in to use a pc last week and after talking to staff it’s my understanding that the 2/3 lads in the Library are just caretakers but have to wear the shoplink earpiece things so just look like security. Chester library actually has uniformed security staff. There were about a dozen people that I would class of No Fixed Abode but the librarian said if they’re at Ty Nos they’re allowed to join if they present written proof. Can’t really argue with that I suppose but the next minute they’re smoking, swearing & drinking outside the front door with young children walking past (half term).

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham students dig in to create peace garden at local care home

News

Hundreds take part in inaugural 5k and 10k race in aid of Wrexham-based hospice

News

College students hosting Wrexham football themed charity dinner for local causes

News

RSPCA urges a radical rethink of animals’ rights as part of ‘For Every Kind’ campaign

News

Wrexham to host to second stage of Tour of Britain Women

News

Man “arrested on suspicion of wounding” after “public order incident” in city centre

News