Wrexham is a great town

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham is a great town

• Author

Nen
    Participant

It annoys me how much negativity there is about the place. Now, obviously you can’t compare it with major Cities like London, Manchester, Liverpool etc – that would be silly. But compared with most towns it’s pretty great really…

– Unlike most towns these days which are commuter belt for big cities (think Rochdale / Oldham / Bury for Manchester) Wrexham is a proper “place” in its own right not a feeder town

– It has good quality employment options like a University, a large thriving further education college, a large teaching hospital, one of Europe’s biggest industrial estates, Moneypenny, the UK’s largest prison and much more

– A large and diverse retail offering (for a town) including national chains and independents

– a brand new art hub, marketplace and entertainment venue

– a relatively low crime rate (yes, it has its problems but so does every town and city)

– wonderful and varied countryside right on the doorstep

– easy access to snowdonia and Cities such as Liverpool, Chester, Manchester and Birmingham either by rail or road

– heritage sites in and around such as the Aqueduct, St Giles church, Erddig and Chirk Castle plus the International Eisteddfod nearby

– Very affordable housing and relatively low council tax

– A lively and growing nightlife scene

– Entertainment venues of different sizes such as the Racecourse, William Aston Hall, the Theatre, Ty Pawb and Undegun

– Decent and improving food options, both evening and daytime “cafe culture” – a mix of national chains and independents

– A fan owned football club

– Friendly people

And probably more besides

Animal Mother
    Participant

Agreed. It’s a pretty nice place all things considered. I’m an import into the area too.

JP
    Participant

Point 7 negates point 1.

Point 2 is wishful thinking, I know people working in most of those places, and I know how “local” they are.

Point 9 should be balanced against the low local median wage.

Point 10, not compared with even ten years ago.

Idris
    Participant

Nen, you forgot to mention:

– The Groves bombshell saved and maintained at a massive cost
    – The luxury prison
    – Ty Pawb
    – Drugged up zombie street entertainers
    – 12 car break-ins across Wrexham in last 12 days – ‘dew wiped from windows’ on other vehicles
    – Travellers camping where they like (now including distraction burglaries)
    – Gridlock
    – Kingdom
    – Nine arrested after serious assault
    – Councillor freebies and £200 pay rise
    – 35 sheep stolen from Rossett
    – Post House Roundabout (transport links basically)

I could go on but I have to keep an eye on my car and property.

Idris
    Participant

And it is full of gangs of Eastern Europeans drinking on park benches or walking up and down town looking for trouble!

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=147619]Point 7 negates point 1.

Point 2 is wishful thinking, I know people working in most of those places, and I know how “local” they are.

Point 9 should be balanced against the low local median wage.

Point 10, not compared with even ten years ago.[/quote]

Having easy access to other places is not that same as being a commuter belt to such places.

Well, I know many local people working in those places – as well as those from out of the area – it goes both ways

True, although I think if you compared this ratio to, say, that of London you’d be pleasantly surprised

There’s much more varied and better quality nightlife than there was 10 years ago! Or would you prefer to turn the vibrant Fat Boar back into the rundown Black Horse (for example)!?

I’m not even responding to Idris as he’s being ridiculous. Except to say, show me any town or city that does not have these type of problems, but Wrexham still has a relatively low crime rate.

JP
    Participant

[quote quote=147632]And it is full of gangs of Eastern Europeans drinking on park benches or walking up and down town looking for trouble![/quote]

As opposed to getting run out of Hightown/QP/Garden village/Spring Lodge, local area of choice, because you come from the wrong side of a dividing road?

Grow up

wrexview
    Participant

You need to travel outside of Wrexham to appreciate what we do have in this town.

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=147635]You need to travel outside of Wrexham to appreciate what we do have in this town.[/quote]

I think you’re right there

Idris
    Participant

[quote quote=147636]

You need to travel outside of Wrexham to appreciate what we do have in this town.

I think you’re right there[/quote]

I really think you need to pull your heads out of your respective shells and look around you! The place is falling apart and it is full of scum bags, home grown as well as Eastern Europeans.

Does your excrement smell of roses to match the tint on your spectacles?

Do you ever go into Wrexham? Have you walked around town in the dark? It is VERY intimidating and needs proper policing and a lot of investment.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News