Wrexham in the national press

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham in the national press

• Author

NJones
    Participant

I see Wrexham has made the news in the Daily Mail: ‘Police called to calm furious customer riot because 99p shop announced a sudden end to its half-price sale’

How accurate is this account?:
    The 99p Store in Wrexham, was due to close on 28 January
    Advertised a half-price closing down sale, but then called it off yesterday
    Store managers said they had renegotiated their lease and weren’t closing
    But shoppers who’d queued for 50p bargains for hours refused to pay 99p
    Police came to deal with angry stand-off and shouting bargain-hunters
    Truce achieved when shop managers agreed a ‘buy one, get one free’ offer

This sort of coverage does nothing for Wrexham’s image.

Darlofan
    Participant

Hardly just Wrexham though is it, this would have happened everywhere. Should have just shut the shop and told them to leave.

gogledd
    Participant

@Darlofan 11357 wrote:

Hardly just Wrexham though is it, this would have happened everywhere. Should have just shut the shop and told them to leave.

….or perhaps even better, stuck to the prices they had advertised to customers!! If it was £99 shop and advertised sale prices of £50 for all items, that’s what you’d expect to pay.

Adam
    Participant

@NJones 11355 wrote:

This sort of coverage does nothing for Wrexham’s image.

For many people it just confirms the stereotype..

Not the first Wrexham thread on Pistonheads forum either… Police called to 99p store sale

Darlofan
    Participant

@gogledd 11360 wrote:

….or perhaps even better, stuck to the prices they had advertised to customers!! If it was £99 shop and advertised sale prices of £50 for all items, that’s what you’d expect to pay.

Yeah but the shop has the right to change prices whenever they want. Same as if a price is mismarked they don’t have to honour it. The honourable thing might be to do that but legally they don’t have to.
    Yes if I was in there shopping I’d be upset and have a winge at a manager but not to the point where police are called(I’m not that desperate). I bet half the stuff people were buying was perishable that they wouldn’t think about and throw out anyway.

Alunh
    Participant

Just think it’s funny

Rob
    Participant

Appeared on Reddit as well for those who use that site – It is also the #1 most read story currently on the BBC News online website – nationally not regionally.

Perhaps shows the power, and danger of the internet!

I am disappointed that non reproduced the line “Amusingly there was a solitary cheer when the doors reopened” :D

dewi73
    Participant

Shocking behaviour by those involved and a complete waste of Police time!

wxm
    Participant

How is Wrexham seen on the world stage …how do people therefore choose to invest …

Chris
    Participant

Im sure acording to SOGA that when an item is I incorectly price marked the shop does not have to honnor price but should remove item from sale for a period of 24 hrs. As for this incident they may get moaned at by trading standards but as its an isolated incident I would expect nothing more.
    Ultimately as a vendor you can refuse to sell something if you want to.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News