Wrexham Getting ‘Super Prison’

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Getting ‘Super Prison’

• Author

wxm
    Participant

A prison will be at the centre of the brand of Wrexham for the next 50 years, and beyond, but will affect our life time and the shaping of the future and next generation in particular, now, and in the immediate years ahead.

Wrexham has a different and smaller economy to the others cited as comparables, and the scale of the prison will be far greater for Wrexham as it will be one of the only icons of the town (and a large regional icon at that).

Whatever the future of the prison, a TOTAL economic and social plan is needed for Wrexham, championing this one element does not work. A Single Integrated Plan, cited in other parts of the forum, is needed, and needs to demonstrate a credible budget, along with credible ambitions for the population of Wrexham matched with economic objectives, strong skills and education.

weasel
    Participant

Won’t be the first prison Wrexham’s had….There used to be one at the top of Pen y bryn ….By Tenters Square…..

Mike Davies
    Participant

@weasel 7462 wrote:

Won’t be the first prison Wrexham’s had….There used to be one at the top of Pen y bryn ….By Tenters Square…..

Yes that was many years ago and much, much smaller. Your point is?

Wrecsam_lad
    Participant

@Mike Davies 7464 wrote:

Yes that was many years ago and much, much smaller. Your point is?

I don’t think ‘weasel’ was trying to make a point, just giving a bit of historical info that many people may not know..

Metalhead
    Participant

North Wales prison: Inmates will be like battery chickens says Elfyn Llwyd – North Wales Weekly News

If this establishment were to ‘only’ house 700-750 inmates would there need to be another 1 or 2 built elsewhere at further costs of £250m each? If so where would this money come from? How about promoting the idea that anyone who doesn’t fancy the idea of being locked up like a ”battery hen” should really consider this before breaking the law?!!!

dewi73
    Participant

zinger
    Participant

Isn’t that just ‘Super’.

Conde
    Participant

@dewi73 7483 wrote:

Jailed sex offenders at HMP Oakwood to be given days out on the town in rehab programme led by security firm GS4 | Mail Online

HMP Oakwood is another recently opened ‘Super Prison’

I think you need to be careful when looking at these sorts of policies. This is in no way indicative of what the running of the new prison is to be like.

It’s the equivalent of saying every police force would buy 2 troublesome youths KFC after they are causing a problem – obviously not the case.

As for the thoughts about ‘battery prisons’ etc. I’d suggest that the reason why there is so much re-offending is because the sentences are not completed in full. A reason for this could be simply down to space. The ammount of prisons closing is increasing and we need to maintain spaces. Otherwise it could easily be the case that those who should go to prison are actually kept in the community, often at an even greater expense to the tax payer, where they or the communities they are in, will not get any better.

The Plaid MP also stated that Wales having control of prisons is looking less likely if we have a big prison. As much as I am a fan of devolution…. laws are primarily based on a UK model – as a result… for an incompetent Welsh Government to have control over the prisons in Wales would be a dangerous policy to look at. I suspect that this damages Plaid’s electioneering more than anything else – it’s a very narrow minded view of the future of this country.

As for the idea that prisoners will be like battery chickens is laughable. Not only for the fact that by law, a person has to have an amount of area ( I can’t remember the figures off my head) of dedicated living space which is approved on a national basis – makes this seem a rather week argument.

What people I think, are not understanding, is not only is our population increasing, so too are the number of different crimes and the efficiency of our police force is increasing so we are catching more people who are doing those crimes – which leads me right back at my point about space and demand.

Metalhead
    Participant

@Conde 7489 wrote:

I think you need to be careful when looking at these sorts of policies. This is in no way indicative of what the running of the new prison is to be like.

Like the local employment concerns is this not precisely the type of issue that WCBC should be pushing for clarification on? Could guarantees against such practices not be made strict conditions of any planning application approval?

dewi73
    Participant

@Metalhead 7496 wrote:

Like the local employment concerns is this not precisely the type of issue that WCBC should be pushing for clarification on? Could guarantees against such practices not be made strict conditions of any planning application approval?

The prison is due to be a Category C. This means its is not an ‘open’ prison, and houses prisoners who are deemed as not being trusted in open conditions but who are unlikely to make a determined escape attempt. Wrexham.com asked specifically if there will be any ‘open’ element to the prison and was told definitively no, however the rehabilitation elements of any prison could see activity outside the walls.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

The topic ‘Wrexham Getting ‘Super Prison’’ is closed to new replies.

More...

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News