Wrexham Getting ‘Super Prison’

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Getting ‘Super Prison’

• Author

wxm
    Participant

What does Wrexham do that it knows how to do. It has a history of good industry, schools, hospital, and conveniently located on the border.

It does not have the skill set to run a prison. If the Council want to rid the reputation of children abuse in North Wales and Clwyd, why is it promoting a prison that for decades to come will be the centre of debate in society about the needs and challenges of those in that prison.

Surely, we should focus on investing in education and the economy?

MadMan
    Participant

Not sure where it is possible to meet on this subject, as i have no knowledge of this sort of thing, but something must be done to challenge this. Anybody have any ideas?

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    MadMan;5808 wrote:
    Not sure where it is possible to meet on this subject, as i have no knowledge of this sort of thing, but something must be done to challenge this. Anybody have any ideas?

The important thing is to make an election issue and go after the exec board as they lose the most money.

• doorstep the exec board.
    • leaflet drop the exec boardmembers’ wards.
    • build temporary superprisons outside the exec boardmembers’ homes.
    • build a temporary superprison outside the guild hall.
    • knock on each door of each voter in the exec boardmembers ward with a petition.

things needed

• people
    • leaflets
    • cardboard boxes and blue people double sided sticky tape for the superprisons

thewayneinspain
    Participant

What I’m trying to say is that people and particularly those who voted the main decision makers in (the exec board) need to be educated on quite simply the truth.

Wrexham can’t depend on the press and sadly not enough people read social media or wrexham.com. The argument seems to be jobs, but this is misinformation from the council and especially Neil Rogers.

If the locals are educated, there will be a groundswell of public opinion, but that won’t happen unless 5 or 10 volunteers come forward to get the ball rolling. I feel that strong about this, i’m willing to come home after my contract in Portugal and Barcelona finishes and campaign. This will sully the name of wrexham forever.

Lots of work to be done, but basically it’s volunteers and some fundraising to pay for the leaflets.

I feel Neil Rogers is abusing democracy.

ps before meant blue peter not blue people. darn predictive texting!

MadMan
    Participant

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2013/04/11/fears-that-north-wales-prison-could-lead-to-a-crime-boom-in-llandudno-and-colwyn-bay-55243-33151447/

“I believe it will be in the Wrexham area because Shrewsbury Prison is closing. Let North East Wales have it and I think we’ll reap the benefits.” Let us have it thanks a bunch we don’t want it either for the very same reasons that are in this article.

I am abroad for the summer months, so i won’t be able to help then.
    I could see who would offer their time for their services out of the people i know and go from there.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

Let us hope that one of the English sites is chosen.

wxm
    Participant

Rob
    Participant

This has had the proverbial green light this morning.

Conde
    Participant

Hello all,

I’m going to apologise now if I go over points already raised – you wouldn’t believe how busy I am today. However, this is an important issue that needs to be discussed.

Let me begin by saying I genuinely believe today’s announcement to have the prison in North Wales is an exceptionally good idea. Please note, I just said prison – not super prison; I believe that is unnecessary hyperbole and seeks to pander to people’s innate fears of the many. Especially given the recent incidents we have seen in and around the town.

However, it stands to reason that this will be one of the most secure prisons in the UK.
    The economics of it all aren’t just based around the prison itself. Yes, there will be a lot of contracted work, but primarily, that’s because we do not have the skills locally.

With regards to positions that get advertised nationally, yes they may well go to ‘outsiders’ but I don’t think for a second that will be as high a rate as people seem to think.

This is an exceptional opportunity for Wrexham to take this opportunity and really make something out of it. All the increased footfall will help out hotels and inns, which are facing serious footfall problems. It gives us a wider market to tap into without shops. It gives us more scope to develop our links with towns across Wales and North East England. All of this allows us to look at our current employment opportunities and expand on them. It may even lead the way to increased spending on proper infrastructure for the town to develop transport links and public transport on the whole.

But I’ll stop giving you the bigger picture and give you a very, very specific point. Currently, if you are from Wrexham and you go to prison, the distances we are talking about are quite vast. Why should the family suffer for the deeds of the misguided? The justice system is there to rehabilitate – we should be looking to make sure families are able to stick together and this is one of the ways I believe we can do this.

To specifically look at the issue of out of date figures, you’re quire right, they are out of date, but I personally believe that there is still a lot of benefit to be had out of this new installation. Let’s face it, currently we don’t have much to look forward to with regards to employment in Wrexham. The public sector is shrinking, and the private sector is by-in-large stagnant. Any push to ignite both of these should be welcomed with both arms and a lovely bunch of flowers.

Diolch.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

This is only good for the politicians, it saves their necks because the cuts will be less.

a prison is fine, but a super prison is bad for the image of wrexham.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

The topic ‘Wrexham Getting ‘Super Prison’’ is closed to new replies.

More...

New video shows Wrexham AFC chairman “Baseball-izing” Football Game ahead of MLB World Tour

News

Police appeal after “considerable amount of damage” at local primary school

News

A view from Sam Rowlands – Welsh Conservative North Wales Member of the Senedd

News

“It is not for local authorities to fund local or national print media”, says Senedd committee

News

Over 6,000 illegal vapes seized in Wrexham in Trading Standards crackdown

News

Former First Minister Mark Drakeford honoured as one of the “Covid heroes”

News