Wrexham Getting ‘Super Prison’

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Getting ‘Super Prison’

• Author

thewayneinspain
    Participant

I really think there should be a local referendum and real public debate on this.

Once voted, this can never be undone.

A prison is fine, any councillor who votes for a superprison does not have the future interest of wrexham at heart. It’s image will never recover. in modern folklore in 20 years time, when you do something wrong they won’t be sent to coventry, they’ll be saying sent to wrexham.

This is a 1,000 more times important than protesting against a dead prime minister who hasn’t ruled any part of the uk for 20 years.

Mike Davies
    Participant

Cllr Rogers is living in a fantasy world. For some reason he has been pushing for this to happen for some years, stating that there will jobs for the area. Absolute rubbish. Any prison officer jobs created will be advertised nationally, so few if any will go locally. Building work will not be done by any local companies, there isn’t a local building company big enough to tender (see the recent by-pass if you don’t believe it). Most construction workers will be brought in to do the job and then move on to their next project. Maybe a few low-paid jobs will be created (laundry, catering etc.), but will it be worth all the hassle of having a super prison in the neighbourhood!

thewayneinspain
    Participant

can anyone tell me who owns the land of the two sites earmarked?

and who would get the cash if the land was sold to ministry of justice??

MadMan
    Participant

These protests against Thatcher are pathetic, while i did not like what she stood for, it is rather pointless considering she is dead. There needs to be action that will promote actual change and what i mean by that is about time people realise it is the 21st century not the 20th, so stop dwelling on the past and think about today and the future.

Now for sticking to the topic, surely we cannot let this go ahead. There are no real benefits, any jobs gained will be lost due to the detrimental effect it will have on the image of the town, therefore any business supported by tourism in the Wrexham county may see a decline in numbers. The super prison may deter any potential overseas investors (and even local start ups) because they may not want to have associations with that image especially considering one of the sites is the Wrexham Industrial Estate.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    thewayneinspain;5751 wrote:

If the council owns the firestone land, hasn’t cllr neil rogers done this once/twice before…

Privatise/’sell off the family silver’ to the detriment of the town’s businesses, when trying to save face over the town’s fiscal deficit and poor financial mismanagement.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    MadMan;5752 wrote:
    we cannot let this go ahead.

I agree. I’m not really in a position to be active, but I’d like to help.

Is there some where were people could meet [that wouldn’t look like partisan politics] to discuss this. Here, we just meet at a local plaza rain or shine.

GasMan
    Participant

Even the maintenance contracts for places like this, always go to national companies

Liam
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 5751 wrote:

The Firestone site is currently being transferred from Welsh Government ownership to the council’s. Should add this info was in a part 2 report although you can see the info in the minutes of a recent executive board meeting.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Liam;5773 wrote:
    The Firestone site is currently being transferred from Welsh Government ownership to the council’s. Should add this info was in a part 2 report although you can see the info in the minutes of a recent executive board meeting.

It’s a done deal, isn’t it?

labour welsh assembly transfers land, gives labour council cash via land. Both are able to say look what we have done for wrexham. I hate politicians, they’re always in it for themselves.

wxm
    Participant

What good and bad will a prison do for Wrexham?

* It will not be good for the image of Wrexham, known for a prison.
    * According to the data discussed in public, it will provide few jobs.
    * Again, data suggests it won’t provide a wealth of supply chain for Wrexham locally with services such as catering and supplies.

You could say the balance is 20% for, and 80% against.

Is Wrexham strategically centre for North Wales, No. Could Conwy or Denbighshire find space, Yes. Is the location ideal for the justice system, No.

Wrexham needs to face how it creates a real economy, not one built on spending public money.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

The topic ‘Wrexham Getting ‘Super Prison’’ is closed to new replies.

More...

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News

Wrexham Council awaits Welsh Government guidance on 20MPH changes and welcomes community input

News

New role for Big Nev as Gŵyl Wal Goch returns to Wrexham for 2024!

News

Hydro Announces £13m Investment in State-of-the-Art Scrap Sorting Facility at Wrexham Plant

News

Fearless fundraisers to scale their biggest challenge yet for children’s hospices

News

Plans submitted for microbrewery on Wrexham farm

News