Wrexham Getting ‘Super Prison’

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Getting ‘Super Prison’

• Author

Jeffro
    Participant

We want Wrexham to develop so why not a prison, this will bring extra money into local economy and put Wrexham on the map.Talk of negitivity towards Wrexham is nonsense, Jobs are needed and money pumped in to look shops and transport.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Jeffro;3879 wrote:
    We want Wrexham to develop so why not a prison, this will bring extra money into local economy and put Wrexham on the map.Talk of negitivity towards Wrexham is nonsense, Jobs are needed and money pumped in to look shops and transport.

I agree about a prison but this isn’t a normal prison, this will be the main prison for a 100 miles radius.

it will bring in money short term… but it will detract other business sectors developing.

so what is risley famous for? what is the nickname synonymous with it?
    what should the area around risley be famous for?

what is sellafield famous for? what should the area be famous for?

the financial sector of wrexham will never develop, if wrexham become famous for where people go once they’re convicted.

Jobs are needed, but this is not the investment wrexham wants or what they are going to expect from the prison?
    e.g. procurement
    Building the prison
    the building of the prison will be put out to tender to the whole of the UK, wrexham will be at a disadvantage because no wrexham builder has ever built a prison.
    Food
    we already know this will be 3663 because of the pork in prison halaal food scandal. They’re not local suppliers, they don’t buy food from local producers.

Robert
    Participant

So just to be clear then…

There’s no guarantee of any of the construction work/jobs going to the local area.

There’s no guarantee of any of the prison jobs going to the local area.

There’s no guarantee of any of the service jobs going to the local area.

There’s no guarantee of any supplies for the prison being sourced locally.

Prisoners released on licence into the town.

The good points of a super prison would be what exactly?

I’m just not seeing it myself sorry.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Robert;3883 wrote:
    So just to be clear then…

There’s no guarantee of any of the construction work/jobs going to the local area.

There’s no guarantee of any of the prison jobs going to the local area.

There’s no guarantee of any of the service jobs going to the local area.

There’s no guarantee of any supplies for the prison being sourced locally.

Prisoners released on licence into the town.

The good points of a super prison would be what exactly?

I’m just not seeing it myself sorry.

Good points?? Only for the politicians…
    Because of its big size, the politicians get to choose/project the narrative that they’re working hard at attracting jobs & money for the locality…

Kylie
    Participant

If this was to go ahead, its so unlikely that local tradespeople would be used for building. Its all about the cost, they will use a contractor that bids the lowest. It is possible that local people would get jobs there, but you have to think about people from surrounding areas that would apply as they wouldn’t mind the commute – an employer wouldn’t discriminate based on location.

Things like this make me sad. I don’t know if many people are aware of Ruabon, but in the last 20 years it has had 2 landfill sites within dangerous proximity to housing – my own included. Not that I would consider a prison and its inmates to be “rubbish” but I think Wrexham has its fair share of black marks against it. A prison will have a poor perception to locals and visitors and a business looking to find premises may be put off if they were to be next to a prison.

Rob
    Participant

This is going before the Council on the 18th.

New Wrexham ‘Super Prison’ Report Uses Three Year Old Data | Wrexham.com

You can read the full report here (PDF) on the Council’s website.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Rob;4461 wrote:
    This is going before the Council on the 18th.

New Wrexham ‘Super Prison’ Report Uses Three Year Old Data | Wrexham.com

You can read the full report here (PDF) on the Council’s website.

reminds me of this…
    Iraq Dossier – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

wxm
    Participant

When people say WREXHAM, we would prefer that we are known for our market town status? We have a growing University that many towns don’t have. We don’t have the dirty industries of coal and steel anymore, do we want to change direction and be known for a prison?

We should concentrate on building a Wrexham Industrial Estate full of industry, we can encourage industries such as car makers that they have in Deeside, Cheshire and Wirral, we are told that more will cluster in this region. We need thousands of skilled and higher paid jobs, reading the papers, a prison will not bring 100 jobs to the local community. Industry will feed off other firms on the industrial estate, manufactureers of parts, components.

The money spent in Wrexham is likely to be small. Transport and visitors will use road networks to fly in and out, they will not be visiting the local town. Consumables in the prison will come from large companies in other parts of the UK.

We need to decide what we want Wrexham to be known for, once we have a major prison, that will be the only icon Britain will talk about.

wxm
    Participant

5. What should we do in Wrexham County to create more jobs for people, better earnings for people, and instead of spending tax payers money, bring in industry to create jobs?

6. How do we measure the size of all industry and business in Wrexham County, and what do those figures show for the current year, and for each year going back ten years?

thewayneinspain
    Participant

what is the way forward on this?

a petition to get them to before making a decision is carry out new research? or what?

after all if i’m not mistaken the guy pushing this through at wrexham council is the same guy who was pushing for eagles meadow. which although a good idea has been misguided for the town itself.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

The topic ‘Wrexham Getting ‘Super Prison’’ is closed to new replies.

More...

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News

Wrexham man taking on London Marathon challenge for disabled skiers

News

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News