Wrexham Getting ‘Super Prison’

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Getting ‘Super Prison’

• Author

Sam
    Participant

What if the proposed Wrexham super prison has an ‘open’ element ?
    Curfew for just a few ‘ residents ‘.

Just a thought !

Iceman
    Participant

Good point. You often hear of these open prisons. Will we be mixing with serving convicts in the town centre? Having said that, many criminals contribute little towards society, but at least a prison would assist the economy locally.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@Iceman 3070 wrote:

Good point. You often hear of these open prisons. Will we be mixing with serving convicts in the town centre? Having said that, many criminals contribute little towards society, but at least a prison would assist the economy locally.

Does it? or does the perception that it’s the prison centre of GB stop investment?

I’m not a nimby as i think an incinerator power station is good for wrexham and GB, but anyone who let’s the biggest ever british prison be built doesn’t care for the image or future of the town.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

I see this story has raised it’s head again. No specific site is mentioned though.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Welsh Dresser;3861 wrote:
    I see this story has raised it’s head again. No specific site is mentioned though.

one worrying politico strategy phrase…

“The size of the prison proposed by the Ministry of Justice means that it must serve both North Wales and parts of England (the North West, West Midlands).”

That’s worded to disadvantage plaid cymru. Labour is trying coerce plaid cymru into saying wales only, meaning labour gets the pr as being the only left of centre party that creates jobs.

It annoys me that agenda politics is playing a part in what will change the UK public perception & stereotype of one place in wales forever.

A normal sized prison yes. an incinerator yes… but a super prison is the worst stain wrexham could have for decades.

Wrexham relies too much on public money for revenue and jobs already. You only have to look at all the council, government or wag owned empty buildings in the town to see what effect relying on public money does during the bust part of a financial cycle. This will detract private investment for decades.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

If it is so detrimental to the area chosen why are the agencies involved so excited about the possibility?

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Welsh Dresser;3864 wrote:
    If it is so detrimental to the area chosen why are the agencies involved so excited about the possibility?

Money and willy measuring with a little bit of desperation to be seen to be doing something for jobs.

It’s another eagles meadow or a first try at crack. You suffer for years for just one instant hit. Remember alot of the politicians will have retired once it’s built and the full negative PR hits..

Asi ‘ve said before a normal sized prison yes, but the negative pr that will arise from a regional correctional facility for the whole of the north west, midlands and wales is asking for decades of bad pr.

years of jobs and investment will be wasted for just 1,000 jobs whilst it is built.

E.g. ask ten people in wrexham what is the first thing they think about when someone says denbigh. most will say nut house or mad house… that’s the problem. public perception, not the real thing.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

Did the prisons already built have an effect on the communities they are now in or are they so established that they have been accepted? Are there no benefits? Would the inmates not be classed as living in Wales for census purposes and so increase numbers and funding? I don’t want a prison on my doorstep, who does? I am trying to understand why we should say no to it apart from personal prejudice and knee jerk reaction.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Welsh Dresser;3867 wrote:
    Did the prisons already built have an effect on the communities they are now in or are they so established that they have been accepted? Are there no benefits? Would the inmates not be classed as living in Wales for census purposes and so increase numbers and funding? I don’t want a prison on my doorstep, who does? I am trying to understand why we should say no to it apart from personal prejudice and knee jerk reaction.

Just making it plain. I’m for a prison in wrexham, just not one of the super prisons. I’d be for a power station in wrexham, especially if it was for an incinerator, but not a nuclear one.

Not because a super prison or a nuclear station are bad things, but it’s the stigma that will go along with them.

The uk has never had a prison close in size to what the 3 super prisons will be. This is an unprecedented event. And that is the problem. The image of wrexham will be changed forever and 1,000 jobs is not enough.

Certain parts of the wrexham economy have never fulfilled its potential since the 1960s e.g. its financial sector. These sectors will never ever grow again, if wrexham gets the image of being the prison town of a 100 square radius.

Nobody is thinking long term, it’s all about short term gain that will compound wrexham’s problem of being one the best examples in wales of being a boom/bust town.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 3872 wrote:

Just making it plain. I’m for a prison in wrexham, just not one of the super prisons. I’d be for a power station in wrexham, especially if it was for an incinerator, but not a nuclear one.

Not because a super prison or a nuclear station are bad things, but it’s the stigma that will go along with them.

The uk has never had a prison close in size to what the 3 super prisons will be. This is an unprecedented event. And that is the problem. The image of wrexham will be changed forever and 1,000 jobs is not enough.

Certain parts of the wrexham economy have never fulfilled its potential since the 1960s e.g. its financial sector. These sectors will never ever grow again, if wrexham gets the image of being the prison town of a 100 square radius.

Nobody is thinking long term, it’s all about short term gain that will compound wrexham’s problem of being one the best examples in wales of being a boom/bust town.

Apologies I was talking about my own prejudice and reaction.

If Wrexham was the chosen site would any of the building work and subsequent services be provided locally. Of the thousand jobs mentioned I wonder how many would be recruited from North Wales. A new prison couldn’t be set up with an all new workforce, some experienced staff would be needed, so surely some of the staff would have to be relocated from established prisons.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

The topic ‘Wrexham Getting ‘Super Prison’’ is closed to new replies.

More...

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News